News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: V-weapon defences in Kent  (Read 4651 times)

Offline delboy

• Appreciation 24
Re: V-weapon defences in Kent
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 15:19:30 »
I have copied a map that shows where the V1s fell/crashed etc in Kent. Its taken from Conflict  Across the Strait by Colonel B.E. Arnold T.D., battery commander of the Coast Artillery around East Kent. The map was originally compiled by the Kent Messenger. Each black dot represents a V1 including the small dots in the sea.delboy

Offline delboy

• Appreciation 24
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 19:29:52 »
Hi brackeat, if you go to the Anti-Aircraft thread  in Kent Defences and have a look at 127 AAA Battery you will find some information and photos there. This battery was one of the many that were placed along the coast in 1944 to combat the V1 menace. I walk across this site, Foxhill Down, practically every day and you can still make out the slit trenches and gun emplacement sites. Although they were sandbagged rings you can see the ring of cleared earth that the sandbags stood on,delboy

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 103
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 20:01:58 »
 Hope this will be of use for you brackeat. :)

Our local gunsite at Upchurch, specifically Wetham Green, of which the land owner is gradually uncovering more of the stuctures, was designated as DIVER BOX, DIVER BATTERY TS3.
It was used as a Diver Battery in the Diver Box from 26th July 1944, when it's guns were increased to six 3.7-inch, at which time it was manned by 269 Battery of the 148th (Mixed) Anti Aircraft Artillery Regiment. It formed part of 28 Anti Aircraft Artillery Brigade.

There is more info and my photos on a previous posts.
http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=410.msg111645#msg111645

PS:- Welcome to the forum.

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 19:55:35 »
RAF Gravesend was closed as a flying station during this period because of the balloon barrage around the area. I believe it was used as headquarters for the barrage crews.
mmitch.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 19:48:50 »
The anti-diver ballon barrage extended from the Cobham south-west for about 20 miles but only for a few weeks and, like the AA gun sites, the ballon sites were only temporary sites.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 18:53:08 »
The gun line consisted of 1700 guns of various calibre, but other than earlier established Ack- Ack  sites. Were all of a temporary nature, built up on railway sleepers etc. so not much to find.

brackeat

V-weapon defences in Kent
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 17:51:41 »
Hi,

I am looking to locate some remains of the defences in Kent that were used against the German "V-forces". I would be delighted if someone could help me with this. I am particularly interested in finding the remains of Barrage Balloon, or perhaps turrets that held anti-aircraft guns, etc.

Any assistance at all would be greatly appreciated!

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines