News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Orpington WWI Military Hospital  (Read 3117 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1519
  • Appreciation 238
Re: Orpington WWI Military Hospital
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 15:57:01 »
Ontario Military Hospital (Canada) Orpington, Kent: 19 February 1916 to 10 September 1917.
Name change to No. 16 Canadian General Hospital: 10 September 1917. Closed 20 September 1919.
Officer Commanding from 10 April 1916: Colonel D W McPherson.
Matron: Margaret H Smith RRC.

The hospital was built and equipped by the Canadian province of Ontario with construction beginning in November 1915, the 70 acre site, one mile south-east of Orpington, being leased for the duration of the war. It was entirely staffed by Canadians. While the majority of the patients were Canadian, other Commonwealth troops were also treated.
The hospital was officially opened on 19 February 1916, with the first casualties arriving from France on 8 June, the previous three months occupying the staff with furnishing and equipping the wards.
As initially built the hospital could accommodate 1,040 patients. Work on an extension commenced in early 1917; when this was opened in July the total number of beds was increased to 2,120.
The hospital was comprised entirely of wooden huts with specialist departments for dentistry, nose and ear, throat, eye, and mental health. There were four operating tables.
It also had a barbers shop, post office, various stores and a small mortuary chapel. There was a large entertainment hall with adjacent canteen for concerts and other entertainments. Various sports were available; tennis, football, cricket, baseball, and billiards. Local visits were made and garden parties were hosted by Mrs McPherson.
King George V and Queen Mary visited 29 May 1919.
By the time the hospital closed in September 1919 it had treated 26,278 patients.
The hospital then became the (British) Ministry of Pensions Hospital, Orpington.

Orpington (All Saints) Churchyard extension.
The hospital made a number of burials in a section of the extension known as Ontario Cemetery. This part of the extension contains 116 burials, of which 88 are Canadian.

The War Diary of the hospital is @ http://cefresearch.ca/matrix/Army%20Troops/3rd%20Echelon/Medical%20Corps/Main%20Hospitals.htm Scroll down to 16th Canadian General Hospital.

Photos

First photo from the collection of the Australian War Memorial. Orpington, interior of Ward 9, 5 June 1917.

Lower three photos Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2012-2015. More photos and other items @ http://www.archives.gov.on.ca/en/explore/online/Robertson/Ontario_Military_Hospital.aspx

Canadian Army Hospital: Orpington, Kent: Operating Room, 1918.
Archives of Ontario, 10052162.

Canadian Army Hospital: Matron H. Smith RRC [Royal Red Cross]; A/Matron J. Stronach RRC; A/Matron A. G. Hogarth RRC, [CA. 1916-1919]
Archives 0f Ontario, 10052163.

Unloading Ontario Apples, Ontario Military Hospital, [ca. 1916-1917]
Archives of Ontario, 10007455.

Hometown Blues Syd Arthur

Offline LenP

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 332
  • Appreciation 23
Orpington WWI Military Hospital
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 22:54:40 »
Here's one of them:

 

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines