News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Newcomb War Diary  (Read 3030 times)

YonderYomper

Re: Newcomb War Diary
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 23:27:02 »
I did see that in the entrance to Strood Library a few months back, with the page opened to the corresponding calendar day you visited.  I'll have to poke my head back in there again and see if it's still there.

LouiseC

Newcomb War Diary
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 10:55:44 »
Chatham Historical Society was given permission to make a replica of an original diary written every day during the years of the Second World War by George West, company secretary of a navy tailors, hosiers, hatters and shirt makers in Chatham High Street called Newcomb's. This replica of the "Newcomb War Diary"  is dedicated to the memory of Mr West, the Newcomb and Paine families, and all Medway people – both service personnel and civilians – who lived through the events described in it.

The replica was paid for by Chatham Historical Society and a generous donation by the late Mr and Mrs W. Paine, and has been available to view at public events and libraries in the Medway towns.
It had been in Strood Library for many months, and their website states that it is on display there, but it might have moved on to another temporary home. Check with Strood Library for the latest situation.

The Paine family ran outfitter's shops in Chatham and Strood, and were founders of the Chatham Reliance Building Society.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines