Kent History Forum

News: Maj-Gen William Holmes C.M.G., D.S.O., V.D. - Killed in action 02.07.17.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Oare mystery fountain and Faversham Creek Wrecks  (Read 1599 times)

Offline Admiral D Ascoyne

• Appreciation 12
  • Ready, Aye, Ready!
Re: Oare mystery fountain and Faversham Creek Wrecks
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 14:53:02 »
Sorry to divert slightly from the thread title.
The hulk of the Bombay in your picture is one of 12 Thames Sailing Barges built at Sittingbourne between 1898 and 1902 for Edward Lloyd the paper Mill owner ( the mill later became Bowater Lloyd's) to ply between Sittingbourne and London before the road transport took over. Unfortunately she has suffered the fate of so many of the old barges.

Cheers Grandrog, info is much appreciated  :)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 11:06:23 »
Sorry if I am a little off topic here but I thought it may be the best place to ask my question as regards a fountain in this general area. I have a few old bottles (c1900 apprx) which are embossed Spendiff Brothers of Faversham and Ospringe. To the front of these bottles is a pictorial trademark of a fountain with water spraying from the top, and I wonder if anyone would know if this trademark was used due to their water being used from this well/fountain?

Offline grandarog

• Appreciation 71
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 17:22:39 »
Sorry to divert slightly from the thread title.
The hulk of the Bombay in your picture is one of 12 Thames Sailing Barges built at Sittingbourne between 1898 and 1902 for Edward Lloyd the paper Mill owner ( the mill later became Bowater Lloyd's) to ply between Sittingbourne and London before the road transport took over. Unfortunately she has suffered the fate of so many of the old barges.

• Appreciation 12
  • Ready, Aye, Ready!
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 14:32:14 »
Heres a map i copied from old maps.com, it shows a watch house (i think its the same building in the photo?), perhaps Customs were based here at one time?

You're right it was a customs watch post.

.......shame you didn't manage to get a photo of the gun battery discussed a few weeks back on your travels.

Gun Battery...?

Here http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=15744.msg130247#msg130247

Groovy! thank you :)

Offline davpott

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 11:11:51 »
Heres a map i copied from old maps.com, it shows a watch house (i think its the same building in the photo?), perhaps Customs were based here at one time?

.......shame you didn't manage to get a photo of the gun battery discussed a few weeks back on your travels.

Gun Battery...?

Here http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=15744.msg130247#msg130247

• Appreciation 12
  • Ready, Aye, Ready!
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 10:00:01 »

Gun Battery...?

Offline davpott

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 16:13:02 »

• Appreciation 12
  • Ready, Aye, Ready!
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 15:50:02 »
Here`s a map I copied from old maps.com. It shows a watch house (I think it`s the same building in the photo?), perhaps Customs were based here at one time?

Offline Steve H

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 15:13:05 »
We came across this a few years ago while Geocaching. There must have been twenty people queing to take bottles of water home.

It is a very interesting area.

• Appreciation 12
  • Ready, Aye, Ready!
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 14:12:22 »
Many thanks for taking time to do a little research guys - very much appreciated!

Here's the image of the well... personally i think it looks like something straight out of a fairy tale, i can almost see Mr Tumnus stopping for refreshment or the seven dwarfs arguing over the water quality...

We tried the water and it was faintly warm but (as water goes) very good

Offline helcion

• Appreciation 24
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 00:30:43 »
Davpott    -

, welcome source of fresh water for so many boat-owners.

& for many locals who reckon that it is superior in flavour to the stuff coming out of the water taps in their houses.
I know a lady in Faversham who regularly takes it away.

Cheers

Helcion

Offline davpott

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 00:09:22 »
Taken from  http://www.faversham.org/history/places/harty_ferry.aspx   

......On the mainland side till the 1870s this was reached by a long tidal causeway from near Harty Ferry Cottages, because the intervening saltings had yet to be reclaimed. Once they had been reclaimed, they became ripe for development, and early in the 20th century the big factory of the Cotton Powder Company at Uplees was extended eastwards across them as far as the present hard. And for the Eley fuse company just east of the hard a new factory was built. Of this survives only its artesian well, welcome source of fresh water for so many boat-owners.

Offline davpott

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 16:11:06 »
The artesian well was dug for the gunpowder works, I think it was sunk shortly before the works were all moved 'up-north'. I've got a booklet somewhere that mentions it but I can't lay my hands on it right now.
A few of the boatyard workers drink in my pub I'll try and remember to ask them about the wrecks.

• Appreciation 12
  • Ready, Aye, Ready!
Oare mystery fountain and Faversham Creek Wrecks
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 14:54:06 »
Went canoeing off Oare Marshes with friends and came across a few old wrecks on Faversham Creek. I wondered if anyone might know about them and how long they've been there?

Also my friend was hoping to find out about a drinking fountain at Oare marshes which may have been for gunpowder mill workers?

Any explanations, theories or views would be most appreciated...

There's a pic of a building which I think may have been part of possible Gunpowder works? (I will upload photo of fountain, just having issues with my phone)

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.8 | SMF © 2014, Simple Machines