News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Howe Barracks to close  (Read 6407 times)

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 101
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
Re: Howe Barracks to close
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2017, 11:13:46 »
Slightly different angle .!0 years ago, 2007. Source GE.

Offline Trikeman

• Appreciation 26
  • History from above
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2017, 23:22:32 »
Demolition of Howe Barracks nearly complete 27/10
Trikeman
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Offline yeoman

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 21:22:41 »
I fear it's inevitable that the south eastern bases and barracks would close: they're simply too far from the big training areas which you need to manoeuvre armour and lots of troops or to fire modern weapons.  When many of the south east's barracks were built movement was on foot and ranges measured in yards: you could hold a decent battalion field day in the local park :)  Ranges grew and the move north and west (Aldershot and Catterick) began 150 years ago.  Oh, and we decided the French were our friends after all, which reduced the need to have troops on hand in the south, as opposed to in the industrial cities further north. 

Also, the SE is crowded so MOD knows it can sell off the land for .  The politicians know this allows more houses which is a plus for them.  Other factors may be that the SE has older barracks (which are generally whacked) or cheap 1960s horrors which let in the rain.  Neither fits with new standards of accommodation.

I think infantry basic training centralised in Catterick a while back, when the Queens Division moved from Bassingbourne.  Regimental depots these days are a retired officer and a few clerks and recruit but don't train.   

I'm slightly surprised we've kept  the Gurkhas at Shorncliffe and the Sappers in Maidstone....

A pity, but that's (military) progress.  I suppose.

Offline Ex-Chalky

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 19:45:51 »
RHQ for PWRR is Howe Barracks.  Or it was 8 years ago when I was last in there.

It consisted of a few offices in the guard room building and a separate store room as I recall.

In the interests of preserving the environment no trees were harmed in the transmission of this mess

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 18:53:24 »
Thanks.
The system is probably different today than it was when my dad was in the RWK (Actually 'The Queen's Own' - the emphasis was on that first!).

The Battalion, with its families, was such a close knit organisation that I can claim to have spent the first 6 years of my life in the army! I wonder if children of  PWRR soldiers feel like that today.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 18:10:00 »
Take a look on here peterchall. It doesn't mention a Central Depot for the Regiment but gives details on recruitment:

http://www.army.mod.uk/infantry/regiments/23994.aspx

cliveh

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 17:43:46 »
Sorry, by 'base' I meant where is its Depot from where it is administered and its recruits trained?
For example, the Royal West Kent Regt had battalions stationed all over the World - the 2nd Battalion was in Guernsey, Aldershot and Shornecliffe from before 1929 to after 1935, but the Regiment's Depot was in Maidstone.

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 16:31:39 »
Just how the Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders came to be based in Kent is a mystery to me. It makes as much sense as basing the Royal West Kents in York

So where is the Princess of Wales' Royal Regiment - the successor to the Royal West Kents and the Buffs, and our own county regiment - based?

1st & 3rd (T.A) in Afghan; 2nd based in Woolwich.

cliveh

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 16:14:01 »
Just how the Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders came to be based in Kent is a mystery to me. It makes as much sense as basing the Royal West Kents in York

So where is the Princess of Wales' Royal Regiment - the successor to the Royal West Kents and the Buffs, and our own county regiment - based?

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 15:52:47 »
How long before Brompton is listed as "surplus to requirements"?

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 09:37:38 »
It is very sad to see yet another section of the armed forces removed from Kent. I do wonder if there is another county that has suffered quite so much as Kent has in defence reductions and relocations since WW2?

The closure of Howe Barracks and HQ 2 SE Brigade is part of the army's move to 'Super Garrisons' based around regional hubs at Salisbury Plain, Aldershot, Colchester, Stafford, Edinburgh, Fife, and a yet to be announced location in the East Midlands.

It is ironic that the first 'Super Garrison' hub in the UK was here in Kent at Chatham with satellites at Maidstone, Canterbury, Dover, Hythe, and Woolwich; most of which is now consigned to the history books, with the exception of what the MOD labels as 'Mal-located' units such as the RSME at Chatham which in itself is only a rump of what it once was.

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 07:06:49 »
Just read that HQ 2nd (South-East) Brigade at Folkestone is to close too!

http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/Jobs-risk-Folkestone-army-brigade-merges/story-18325158-detail/story.html#axzz2MjyLUAs5

cliveh

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 04:42:17 »
Not odd Leofwine, down right stupid if you ask me......

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 01:38:20 »
Quote: "Four Army bases are to close as part of a shake-up to accommodate thousands of troops returning from Germany."

Thousands of troops returning to this country from Germany and they will accommodate them by CLOSING barracks? Am I the only one who thinks thats an odd way of doing things?!
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 18:29:43 »
That is really sad news. Still it will provide the developers with yet more cheap land to build expensive houses on for students in Canterbury................

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines