News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dockyard gravestone.  (Read 3638 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1523
  • Appreciation 238
Re: Dockyard gravestone.
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 16:36:30 »
Link to a photo of the gravestone taken in 1958. Click on photo to enlarge.
http://historicengland.org.uk/images-books/archive/archive-collections/englands-places/card/231166

~snip~ The locality fixed upon was the north-east corner of the dockyard, and this portion, before its enclosure by the Government (when the surface was raised 5 of 6 ft.) must have been a burial ground, for when the excavation had proceeded about 13 ft below the present surface, a tombstone was brought to light, and a few feet further down the remains of eight human bodies were disinterred. These remains were reinterred in consecrated ground. The stone bears the following inscription surmounted with a Death's head and cross-bones carved into the stone:- "Here lies ye body of Eliz. Morison, wife of Alex. Morison, who departed this life, November 15th, 1729, aged 40 years." This memento of a departed graveyard has been inserted into the plinth of the engine-house connected with the well and occupies a position almost immediately over the spot where it was discovered.

annieoburns

  • Guest
Re: Dockyard gravestone.
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 17:00:19 »
You could check out the local newspaper for the time if you had a name and date or even check the death register.  Was there ever a burial place within the dockyard?  There were churches.  Perhaps for some reason the grave had to be built over and so the stone moved to a suitable place?

Offline CDP

  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 834
  • Appreciation 87
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
Dockyard gravestone.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 20:19:43 »
Is anyone aware of, and can they help in the following.
A fellow apprentice friend of mine, in one of his many walks around the Yard circa 1945 during the lunch time break, saw a headstone actually built into the outside wall of the Paint Shop, approximately 35 feet from the Dockyard Wall     " ...here lies the body of ...... wife of .... "
Anyone help ???/  Is the Paint shop still there  ??/
The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

 

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines