News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: The Day War Finished .  (Read 13776 times)

Offline Mike S

• Appreciation 11
Re: The Day War Finished .
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2013, 22:53:43 »
We have a blackout here in Chelmsford every night 1am to 5am - part of the Town Council's way to save money ! It certainly brings back memories of the War. And yes, the stars are a brilliant sight !
I am also in the Chelmsford area at South Woodham Ferrers, our street lights go out at  midnight

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2013, 21:58:03 »
During the blackout even the stars gave some light and only if you were out on a moonless night with thick cloud cover could you realise what true darkness meant - to be unable to see your hand in front of your face was literally true.

To see the stars in their full glory really needs no moonlight or artificial light at all - I can remember standing in the garden as our bombers set out on a raid while still fairly low and you could actually see their silhouettes against the stars, the stars are that close together. To the naked eye the Milky Way looks like a band of light across the sky - only through binoculars can it be seen to be individual stars.

Actually the blackout was lifted before the end of the war - it was pointless against V1s and V2s - and we had what was called a ''dim-out'. As far as I can remember we still had to put up blackout curtains, but street lights were turned on provided they could be turned off in the event of a manned aircraft raid.

It meant that, for the first time for over 5 years, you could go out at night without a torch!
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 85
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2013, 21:08:11 »
I wasn't born until later, so didn't have the darkness. I have lived in towns all my life and have only seen wonderful starry skies when we've been on holiday and more or less in country area's, until one morning a week or so ago, I was up early  ( 5 ish ) opened the back door for the dog and saw so many stars I just stood and looked for a while ( got chilly then and dog came back in ) it was amazing  :)
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline Ted H

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2013, 20:40:23 »
We have a blackout here in Chelmsford every night 1am to 5am - part of the Town Council's way to save money ! It certainly brings back memories of the War. And yes, the stars are a brilliant sight !

Offline alkhamhills

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2013, 20:01:05 »
When my Uncle returned from POW in Germany, a few days later, we had never met, I was 4. He was fantastic !!! Played lots of tricks to amuse me.

John38

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2013, 09:39:11 »
RAF Gan (Maldives) was the clearest night-sky I ever saw. You're so right about the Vera Lynn songs, Peter.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2013, 22:18:19 »
Vera Lynn - 'When the light's go on again, all over the World' and 'When they sound the last all clear....'. Songs from the middle of the war, when there was no end in sight. Stupid perhaps, but it told us without any doubt that there were better times to come, and I can't listen to her today without a slight moistening of the eyes.

It was great when the blackout was lifted, but there was a down-side to it - we lost the sight of the sky on a clear moonless night. I urge anyone who hasn't done so to get somewhere completely free of any human lighting and with no moon, and I guarantee you will gaze in wonder at the sight of the sky.

John38

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2013, 19:51:35 »
For me the one thing that will stay with me at the cease of hostilities was, 'Light.' I had never known light, for I was only 12 months old when the war began, so all I ever knew was dark. No street lights, no shop lights, blackout blinds stopped even the slightest chink of light showing. Road vehicles had the merest glimmer of light

It must have been awful for those used to light to lose it for all those years.

So when. 'The Lights Came on Again....' it was to my total amazement.... I had no idea it was going to be so bright! I think this seldom gets mentioned, although OldMuzza's mum records it in her narrative below.

Offline Ron Stilwell

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2013, 14:40:55 »
Of course she did not damage me for life :)  And now it's time for me to go out and buy a new bra!

Offline ann

• Appreciation 50
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2013, 12:53:29 »
should that be VeRONica 
  What a scowl!!she could have damaged you for life!!!!

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2013, 06:23:14 »
Nice photo Ron Stilwell, or should that be VeRONica  :) mums could be such an embarrassment.

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2013, 00:51:24 »
My ancestor W.G.Penney (later Lord Penney also Baron Penney) was knighted by the Queen for his contribution to end the war. He was regarded as the Father of the British atom bomb. He was highly regarded by the Americans and was on the panel that decided which Japanese city to atom bomb and was invited on the plane to observe the dropping of the bomb.
The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

Offline Ron Stilwell

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 15:39:42 »
My VJ day debacle.  I am the one second from the left on the bottom row - the one with a scowl on my face.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 15:07:39 »
By all means let's commemorate the end of the war in Europe and recount our memories of that day, as I have done in a post above, but let's not forget that 8th May 1945 was NOT 'The Day War Finished', as anyone who served in 14th Army (The 'Forgotten Army'), Far East Air Forces, Pacific Fleet, or who was a prisoner of the Japanese and being treated worse than an animal, will tell you.

Families with members serving out there still had another 3 months of anxiety to endure, but that wasn't known at the time - all that was known was that the Japanese soldier was a skilled and vicious fighter who didn't know the meaning of surrender, so there was no end in sight, and we were thinking of years rather than months.

End of rant :) :)

Offline Ron Stilwell

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 13:44:44 »
That's excellent OldMuzza.  I don't remember much myself, except a real feeling of embarrassment because my mother decided to dress me up for the day.   My mates were dressed as soldiers but I was dressed as a nurse!  I will find the photograph if I can, to further embarrass myself!

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines