News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wartime queue  (Read 4480 times)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 63
Re: Wartime queue
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 20:48:16 »
Hard to make out, but I think it may say "Farrows Sauces".

Offline busyglen

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 69
    • Westminster Village
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 19:33:54 »
Can anybody see the word "Farrows" or something similar on the left side.  Not sure what the word below it could be though.

I thought it was a wickerwork basket, but you can sort of make out Farrows, or is it just the way the light catches it?
A smile is a curve that straightens things out.

overwallop

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 19:11:29 »
Can anybody see the word "Farrows" or something similar on the left side.  Not sure what the word below it could be though.

I was also trying to identify the Kent Messenger photograph.  The Westminster Bank amalgamated or took over the Chatham Bank of Jefferys & Hill in 1839 and were located in the High Street. This probably doesn't help in determining the location though.

Offline busyglen

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 69
    • Westminster Village
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 18:58:32 »
I thought the woman was holding up 3 eggs, but could be small lemons, and I think what Ted H thought was bananas looks more like rhubarb.  If you look at the ends they look like the white part where they have been pulled.
A smile is a curve that straightens things out.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 63
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 17:29:02 »
It states that the queue is for oranges and lemons, early in the war. No mention of bananas!

Offline Robin

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 17:25:17 »
Interesting photo, seems to be only one man in the queue, what is the lady in the centre holding up, oranges, are they bananas by the boy on the left.  Looking at the reflection in the windows, is that a Church across the road.  I seem to remember that I had my first banana in 1944, my father, who was a policeman, got a few from an American serviceman from the local base.

Robin. 
Per Ardua ad Astra

Offline Ted H

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 16:15:33 »
It looks as if they were queueing for new-potatoes. If my memory is right I don't think potatoes were ever rationed during the war years. To the left of the boy, standing with his back to the camera, seems to be a pile of bananas. They were certainly NOT available during the War.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 63
Wartime queue
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 14:13:06 »
This picture was supposedly taken in Chatham. However, I'm having trouble placing where it is. It appears that the building is a Westminster bank but does not look familiar to me - the pavement looks quite broad and possibly curved which suggests this may be some other Kent location.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines