News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Stopped Clocks in Kent  (Read 13609 times)

Offline Cletus

• Appreciation 0
Re: Stopped Clocks in Kent
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2014, 20:42:08 »
There's the clocks at the Buckland Mill site in Dover. Perhaps the developers have plans to get them going again?

Offline Apollo

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2013, 09:47:19 »
I had the glare of the sun on the camera screen, so was shooting blind. Only just discovered Photobucket allows you to change the orientation of photos. Profound apologies ;-)
The more we learn the less we know.

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2013, 01:38:42 »
Were you drunk when you took the first one? ;-)

Offline Apollo

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2013, 22:38:25 »
The clock on the administration block at Stone House Hospital has stopped; not just three hours slow, as I had originally thought. The two photos were taken at 16:23 and 16:29, respectively.

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2013, 19:12:44 »
Thread started for Maidstone Cemetery with more images of the buildings here http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=16236.0

Offline Apollo

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2013, 19:04:35 »
Thank you, RWTA. I took a look around Stone House Hospital, this afternoon, now a swish housing estate called "The Residence" ("City of London Lunatic Asylum" doesn't have the same ring to it), and noticed the clock atop the administration block is three hours slow (or maybe it's stopped altogether, I was passing by). It's doubtful the bell will ever see service again.

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2013, 18:46:45 »
Stopped clock as the time was 17:30. I'll put some on another thread of the current condition of the building itself.

Offline Apollo

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2013, 21:36:27 »
Yes, please RTWA, when you've got a moment.

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2013, 21:21:07 »
Sounds about right - its got a reasonable crack down the side that's away from the road. All windows are currently intact - or they were the other day! I can get an image its only round the corner.

Offline Apollo

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2013, 21:16:58 »
The clock on the tower of the gatehouse / office to Maidstone Cemetery has been stopped for years however the building is empty and was recently for sale. Not sure what its current status is.

Ah, yes. The lodge is Grade II listed, but the description on BLB makes no reference to the clock, or even the tower! It looks rather dilapidated on Street View, with a broken window and what appears to be subsidence - though I'm no structural engineer.

Do you have any recent photos, RWTA?

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2013, 13:28:11 »
The clock on the tower of the gatehouse / office to Maidstone Cemetery has been stopped for years however the building is empty and was recently for sale. Not sure what its current status is.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2013, 20:07:23 »
As far as I know the clock is now powered by electricity and the peal is still in situ. In the days of the NHS it was electrically wound once a week, under supervision of an engineer of course. This was done on a Monday morning just after the Fire/Escape whistles had been blown at 0900. The whistles were the weekly time check for the entire site, I always knew when Dad blew them as he had a signature (as do all blowers of such things). They were also there to warn the area if a bad patient escaped or if there was a fire on site.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline Apollo

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2013, 19:36:33 »
There is a clock at the former Augustine's Hospital at Chartham. This was installed in the former main entrance and had a full Westminster Peal. However after a couple of months the chimes were locked out as a Dr. complained that 'These poor souls are in torment enough without being reminded of the passage of time'. It was heard only once more, sadly I missed it, on the day the Hospital closed. This was done by a late friend who was an Engineer there. Any use to you?

That's a great shame. Whatever happened to the bell? The hospital is housing now so it's sadly doubtful if the chimes will ever be restored.

Went through Penenden Heath today and noticed that the clock on the green facing the crossroads appears to have stopped.

Photos and Street View images show the clock at different times. Are you sure?

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2013, 18:51:47 »
Pure coincidence - I passed it at about 1.30pm :)
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

overwallop

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2013, 17:32:26 »
Went through Penenden Heath today and noticed that the clock on the green facing the crossroads appears to have stopped.

(Image removed from quote.)

It looks to be showing perfect time according to the time of the post  :)

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines