News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Stopped Clocks in Kent  (Read 13646 times)

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
Re: Stopped Clocks in Kent
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 15:42:25 »
Went through Penenden Heath today and noticed that the clock on the green facing the crossroads appears to have stopped.

"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 13:17:41 »
Had to go out to Chartham this morning so I actually remembered the camera! There is a first for everything. I took these for your delectation of a rarely seen clock, I suppose that hardly noticed would be better now, but before the place re-opened as a housing estate fairly few knew this clock at St Augustine's.

Regards, S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline Sylvaticus

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 11:56:45 »
Thank you JohnWalker and Appollo for news of St George's. I should have a photo from 1960s, hope I can find it before the thread goes cold

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 09:58:53 »
There is a clock at the former Augustine's Hospital at Chartham. This was installed in the former main entrance and had a full Westminster Peal. However after a couple of months the chimes were locked out as a Dr. complained that 'These poor souls are in torment enough without being reminded of the passage of time'. It was heard only once more, sadly I missed it, on the day the Hospital closed. This was done by a late friend who was an Engineer there. Any use to you?

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 06:16:32 »
I live within about 200 yards from this building. The clock`s chimes stopped completely approximately 20+ years ago and before that it was intermittent. Hope this building can be saved! Sittingbourne`s `landmarks` are slowly disappearing - The Paper Mill, the Water Tower - who knows what`s next?

Offline Apollo

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 19:38:23 »
British Listed Buildings is an independent resource, separate of English Heritage, hence the disparity.

Sadly, you're right. A listing - particularly Grade II - means little. In many instances, such buildings have been altered beyond recognition, or lost altogether.
The more we learn the less we know.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 101
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 19:24:30 »
I`ve just checked on the British Listed Buildings site and it doesn`t appear to be there, so it looks as if it`s going. BUT, if you check the buildings for Swale it`s absolutely littered with errors, so it may be listed after all. I emailed them weeks ago but nothing has been done. According to them Sheerness Dockyard, the Town Clock, etc. are in Sittingbourne.

Thanks Appollo.  As Bryn says the Swale list is competely riddled with errors the whole of the Sheerness and Sheppey listings are shown as Sittingbourne.
The clock on the college is mentioned in the Grade 2 listing ." In the gable a clock
within a rose window (maker Gillett and Bland of Croydon 1878)."
Even though the building is listed SBC is bound to allow conversion to flats as they cowtow to all fat cat developers.

Offline Apollo

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 19:00:36 »
Louise C

Photos on Google Images show different times, so I doubt it's stopped. Quite a handsome clock.

Sylvaticus, JohnWalker

That's interesting. This link appears to explain more:

The church was gutted by fire during an air raid. The clock stopped at 2:18 am. The bells crashed and partly melted - they were subsequently "lost".

The Rector requested the September PCC that "Any bell metal should be sent to Mears & Stainbank as there might be enough to cast two bells for the new church". It is not known if this was done.

The clock was not restored until thirteen years after the war, in 1955. It again stopped working in 2009, and was thereafter removed and restored to its pre-war appearance.

grandarog, Bryn Clinch

Good news. The college is listed on English Heritage.

The Street View image shows the hands set to 12. I have read that all stopped clocks on public display must have their hands set to 12 and that it is a criminal offence under the Town and Police Clauses Act not to do so. A bit extreme, in my opinion.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 15:29:52 »
I`ve just checked on the British Listed Buildings site and it doesn`t appear to be there, so it looks as if it`s going. BUT, if you check the buildings for Swale it`s absolutely littered with errors, so it may be listed after all. I emailed them weeks ago but nothing has been done. According to them Sheerness Dockyard, the Town Clock, etc. are in Sittingbourne.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 101
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 10:49:22 »
The Adult Education Centre, soon to be off loaded to developers by KCC as being too high maintenance and uneconomical to run. Was originally Borden Grammer School then Kent Farm Institute before Adult Centre. The Clock has a broken casting and has been stopped for years.

LouiseC

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 10:17:07 »
The old Corn exchange is one that springs to mind. Not sure if it has stopped mind you.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 09:57:02 »
That's right and the clock and tower are still there.  The clock was renovated again recently and now seems to keep good time.
It's medieval church of St George the Martyr. The church is best known as the place where playwright Christopher Marlowe was baptised.

JW

Offline Sylvaticus

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 09:33:39 »
There is, or used to be, one in Canterbury, reputedly stopped at the time of an air raid and left thus as a memorial. I'm vague now about street locations and buildings, it was in a church tower left standing at the eastern end of the High Street.

Offline Apollo

• Appreciation 11
Stopped Clocks in Kent
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 23:28:06 »
(Please feel free to dump this forum if it's deemed 'inappropriate'. I would have posted under "Clock Towers" but it seemed a bit dead over there.)

I wish to highlight the good work of Stopped Clocks. The project, launched several years ago by Alfie Dennen, attempts to collate images of every stopped public clock in the UK, and campaigns to get them working again. The website has enjoyed some success with "dozens" of clocks restored since 2007.

Any in Kent?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines