News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: DiMarco Ice Cream Parlours in Chatham and Maidstone?  (Read 13342 times)

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
Re: DiMarco Ice Cream Parlours in Chatham and Maidstone?
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 16:45:34 »
Smiler
Got a feeling their product was called 'El- dorado' ice cream, please can you put an app date as to there being there.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 16:13:58 »
Who remembers the ice cream factory at the top of the alleyway opposite the Ritz Cinema in Chatham and the mobile vending trailer that stood at the mouth of the alley? They sold flavoured ice cubes in a piece of tissue paper, it was probably owned by the ice cream factory.

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=16070.0;topicseen
  I remember this the little stall stood in what was later the entrance to H J Taylors the greengrocers yard facing towards Luton Arches, I didn't like the ice cream they sold.

Offline Wardy

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 13:51:35 »
Hi Wardy
Don't be sorry! All our memories fade over time, you should read some of the howlers I have posted.
 :).Its only by our mistakes we get to the true picture of things, so keep posting. By the way, is that shop still there???? :)
Thanks for that Signals, I just wish that my wife was as giving as you. I don't think that Terenzy's would still be in Church St. I haven't lived in the area for over fifty years and when I've been back I've never noticed it was there because for sure I'd have been in there like a shot.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 00:29:47 »
Hi Wardy
Don't be sorry! All our memories fade over time, you should read some of the howlers I have posted.
 :).Its only by our mistakes we get to the true picture of things, so keep posting. By the way, is that shop still there???? :)

Offline Wardy

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 12:26:45 »
I remember Di Marcos being in Church St., Chatham opposite the Salvation Army.

In 1955 the Kelly's Directory shows  'F. TERENZY & SONS, Ice Cream Mfrs.' at 13 Church Street.
I'm so sorry, Terenzy it was. I don't know how I got so confused!!!!

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 125
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 11:36:12 »
I remember Di Marcos being in Church St., Chatham opposite the Salvation Army.

In 1955 the Kelly's Directory shows  'F. TERENZY & SONS, Ice Cream Mfrs.' at 13 Church Street.
www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

Offline ann

• Appreciation 50
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 10:08:03 »
I'm with you Signals99, it was where you said in the High Street. Love your description too.  It was also my treat on a Saturday after being dragged round Chatham by mum.  I remember the cheese sandwiches (to die for) such soft bread, filled to bursting with grated cheese, but best of all was the icecream with strawberry sauce.  I always wanted a knickerbockerglory, but was never allowed (told I would never eat it all!).  Happy times.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 08:11:13 »
Hi wardy!

Sorry, I'm a little confused. The Di Marcos I remember was in Chatham High Street on the right as you went towards Luton Arches. Were there two shops then?

Offline Wardy

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 07:09:15 »
I remember Di Marcos being in Church St., Chatham opposite the Salvation Army. We would call in there on the way home from St. Paul's school in around 1948. We were served by a very rounded Italian lady and what was probably her husband. Who remembers the ice cream factory at the top of the alleyway opposite the Ritz Cinema in Chatham and the mobile vending trailer that stood at the mouth of the alley? They sold flavoured ice cubes in a piece of tissue paper, it was probably owned by the ice cream factory.

Offline mad4amanda

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 21:40:53 »
I remember Doughtys, all our fishing gear came from there as kids and we bought our licences there, a wonderful shop!

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 09:33:48 »
DiMarco at Chatham was very narrow downstairs, as you entered the counter was on the left, a compact serving area, made even more limited by small round top glass tables against the opposite wall. If you went to the back of the shop, again a very compact area, you had to mind the step! Just past the counter was a very steep stairway to the upper area. As you so rightly say Tulafalula wonderfully creamy ice cream, plus my favourite toasted tea buns/cakes.
My one compensation for shopping with Mum, how I detested it? Being dragged round Woolies.
Best of all was Pains toy window, the wonder of all those Dinky Toys.
PS. Anyone remember Doughtys toy/sports shop.

tulafalula

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 20:57:09 »
I loved Di Marco's. They had lovely ice creams and floaters in the summer and tea cakes and Horlicks in the winter. Used to go there on a Saturday after the pictures.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 15:37:20 »
I'm sure DiMarco's has been discussed before somewhere on the forum. I can remember the displays in the window as well, and got to go in there as a treat occasionally. There was an upstairs area if the main part was a bit crowded. The building is still there, almost opposite the entrance to Batchelor Street. When I went there a knickerbocker glory was 2/6, so you didn't get one of those very often!

Offline mad4amanda

• Appreciation 8
DiMarco Ice Cream Parlours in Chatham and Maidstone?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 15:08:28 »
Does anyone else remember these? The Chatham one was near Finefare and was painted blue and white and had models of Knickerbocker Glories and Bannana Splits in the window. My Grandparents used to treat me to an icecream there quite often as it was my favourite. I remember a couple of elderly looking Italians serving in collar and tie and white aprons and proper frothy coffee.
The Maidstone one was near St Francis Church in Week Street at the east station end and did similar but I only went there a couple of times?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines