News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Maidstone Market Memories?  (Read 3236 times)

Online redge

• Appreciation 12
Re: Maidstone Market Memories?
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 12:33:40 »
I loved the shellfish stall at the entrance, and then on to the A1 fish and chip van. Where have they all gone?
redge

Offline Longpockets

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 20:33:12 »

Mick the Dealer's stall by one of the entrances to the old Agricultural Hall selling dealer boots, shoes and horse tack.

What a fantastic place, you could buy most things, it was closed when Lockmeadow was built and even though the rebuild included a new Agricultural Hall its closure killed the market, it never recovered. What is there on a Saturday is nothing compared to what was there.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 19:32:18 »
Yes I remember Maidstone market, my dad bought my first push bike from there in the 60s.The memories seem to be of piles of boxes and crates on the ground with very few what we would recognise as stalls, a lot seemed to be selling junk, bric a brac and and army surplus stuff, it was heaven :)
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline mad4amanda

• Appreciation 8
Maidstone Market Memories?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 15:27:17 »
Spurred on by the Rochester thread does anyone else have memories of the old Maidstone Market and Agricultural Halls?
I used to go there with my grandfather almost every week, on Tuesdays, was the main market stalls over the whole Lockmeadow site and the big green corregated iron shed that stood by one of the entrances  the puppies for sale in the small shed round the corner and always an auction for plants, household items and fresh killed rabbits and ducks, trays of eggs and produce. I think Maurice and Turner were the auctioneers for this. Sometimes there would be sheep pigs and cattle auctioned too in the pens by the river and there was a high auction pit I remember somewhere there too.
My Grandad Eddy, knew all the porters and they would tip him off about bargains to be had. He always bought loads and loaded up his Renault 10, sometimes driving back with a wardrobe tied to the roof, the backseat packed with boxes of books or china or plants.
On Thurdays it was furniture auctions and he sometimes sold some stuff at a profit but mostly it was buying. I remember the bars of the cash office in the main Ag. Hall painted green. Cups of tea in polystyrene cups were the order of the day and as he was there for hours I would go off out of the bottom gate to the river bank and walk up as far as the bridge at Teston and back all at the age of 5 or so and no one worried. By the market there were some barges moored up still and over the years they deteriorated and eventually sank but you could still see them in the water .
It was one of the most vibrant and exciting things to see with so many stalls and people and the current market is a mere shadow of what was on the site.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines