News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Military platform at Chatham station  (Read 17676 times)

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
Re: Military platform at Chatham station
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2013, 18:34:36 »
The fusible plug was invented by Richard Trevithick to protect the fire box crown sheet when the water ran low. Initially it was a lead rivet but that was later changed to a plug that is threaded into the crown sheet. On a standard gauge loco you may well have four or five plugs screwed into the crown sheet. They are not designed to put the fire out but relieve the pressure and dampen the fire down somewhat. Romney locos and most Road engines have a single plug and I have only ever seen one dropped (not by me I must add) and that jet of steam is very effective. On this occasion the gauge glasses had become blocked (the driver had failed to check them before going off shed) and he ran with the small injector struggling to maintain the water level. It could not and his plug went at the outer home at New Romney. I was on shed as a fitter that day and had to clean up the aftermath. The loco was back in service for the last train of the day for testing purposes. The driver was 'let go' as he had failed to perform one of the most basic safety checks on a steam loco.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline howard

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 15:47:33 »
Yes ! Remember an incident vaguely similar to that, both injectors failed, it was loose the fire or drop the plug? (to the layman the plug was a lead safety device fitted in the fire box, all the time it was covered in water ok, when it became uncovered it melted, extinguishing the fire).
Involved a lot of "wrong line working" to recover the loco to Gillingham shed, she stood on the back road in the shed for some time. It was a Stewarts Lane Arthur, I think.
I don't think that you will find that the steam from a melted fusible plug is designed to extinguish the fire. It's more of a warning to the footplate crew that the water level is low. On a big engine a couple of tons of white hot coal would take more than the steam coming through a half inch hole to put it out!

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 14:41:45 »
Chatham station was a much more interesting place in those days - now it's just two tracks, straight through.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 13:25:04 »
Again, correct sentinel S4, a 'c'class was the only loco then that could take the dockyard loads up the "bank" to Gillingham sidings, not counting diesels, they came later.
When your dad did that run he most almost certainly came across ' Buck ' Aldridge, a local only man (restricted to Chatham\Gillingham sidings), he was part owner of Aldridge & Pope chip shop. Coming out of the yard in max load state was a test of our firing skills, you had about three hundred yds (old money) to gather enough momentum to get up the dreaded slope, 140PSI on the gauge, boiler topped up and the fire dancing on the grate. Buck used to turn the blower on full, my heart dropped as I watched my fire go out the stack, coal and steam all over lower Gillingham. Then when you got (if) you got to the sidings, Buck would give you a rollicking if she lifted her valves. All for seven pounds ten bob a week.   

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 11:17:36 »
Hi Smiler, yes that's it, the road joined Ordinance Terrace by the railway bridge. We used to pop up to a small general store for eggs and two rashers, nip back to the loco and cook it on the firing shovel, a 'billy` can of tea, ten minutes shut eye, (five thirty start that turn) then back on the roaring main, light to Gillingham in time to do the dockyard run.

I am going to guess that you were on a C class for that turn. Dad always went down the Dockyard branch on a C, then they would shunt the Down Sidings with her....

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 09:54:06 »
Hi Smiler, yes that's it, the road joined Ordinance Terrace by the railway bridge. We used to pop up to a small general store for eggs and two rashers, nip back to the loco and cook it on the firing shovel, a 'billy` can of tea, ten minutes shut eye, (five thirty start that turn) then back on the roaring main, light to Gillingham in time to do the dockyard run.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 09:19:55 »
Ah! Think I've got it, road coming down from Victoria Gardens towards station.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 09:16:35 »
Looking at smiffy's photo, I can`t work out what /where the road is the van is on ?

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 08:00:32 »
This one was a Stewarts Lane Arthur, I believe. That said I have seen brand new injectors fail on the Romney, fresh from Pemberthy's and just fitted. As you say 'Happy Days'.

S4.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 00:16:58 »
Yes ! Remember an incident vaguely similar to that, both injectors failed, it was loose the fire or drop the plug? (to the layman the plug was a lead safety device fitted in the fire box, all the time it was covered in water ok, when it became uncovered it melted, extinguishing the fire).
Involved a lot of "wrong line working" to recover the loco to Gillingham shed, she stood on the back road in the shed for some time. It was a Stewarts Lane Arthur, I think.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 16:59:54 »
Try cleaning the fire on an "Arthur" on a hot summers` day, it was purgatory, still got the scars on my arms to prove it. Happy days!

Dad still talks of the time he had to throw the fire out of an Arthur at Gillingham station, she had just come up semi-fast from Ramsgate and was really hot when he and his driver took over. I can't remember why she failed but bad injectors is nagging the back of the mind. It did not do much for the station platform and the Station Master got a bit funny with them for it, I can't quite understand why............ :)

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 15:28:34 »
Smiffy, thanks for the information re the loco and the army lorry. Yes, now I look again I can see it`s a "King Arthur Class "loco. Should've known by the smoke deflectors. The"Arthur's" are a pig to work on from a firemans` point of view, sixteen foot fire box plus a low brick arch. Try cleaning the fire on an "Arthur" on a hot summers` day, it was purgatory, still got the scars on my arms to prove it. Happy days!

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 14:44:38 »
A slightly closer look at the lorry....

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 14:26:18 »
Hi Signals99, the loco is described as class N15 30799 Sir Ironside and the picture was taken September 1958.

Definitely remember the Fyffes bananas warehouse!

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 11:03:15 »
If it's any help, that is almost certainly an army Bedford OY truck next to the goods van.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines