News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Military platform at Chatham station  (Read 15727 times)

Offline Stewie

• Appreciation 16
Re: Military platform at Chatham station
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2018, 09:52:11 »
Thanks for the shot of the Down bay platform Nemo, that brought back some memories. When under control of the power signal box at Rochester, access to this siding was via a mechanical ground frame just tunnel side of the Maidstone Road bridge. Trains (usually vans for papers and parcels), entered Chatham tunnel and then propelled back. Had quite forgotten about the modified brickwork!

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 16

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2013, 08:27:32 »
Ok, Smiffys nailed it for me. Looking at the two ground plans its obvious the bay road was a later addition, the military siding ran the full length of the station cut on the up side.
It ran to a set of stops (buffers) at the bridge end, then returned as a head shunt to the mainline (probably to facilitate a "run round" manoeuvre) also used to release a loco, leaving the wagons to be dealt with as required.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2013, 22:40:16 »
Sorry I did it again, the credit for ID on the army truck should have bean attributed to DS239.
Mikeb, my apologise to you but once again thank you for the most interesting memories you shared with us. Peterchall many thanks for your input re the Bedford ql.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2013, 17:41:22 »
Here's a comparison of the station in the 1860's and the 1930's showing the layout.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2013, 16:15:56 »
Yes Smiffy, makes sense, pre World War II. Probably the best way to move large bodies of men about the country was by rail. If my memory serves me well, from my footplate days, I would say you could get at least eight carriages on that siding, maybe the bay road was added at a later date?

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2013, 15:40:09 »
Looks like the Military Platform may well have been the entire long platform mikeb mentions, not just the small one where the lorry is.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2013, 11:33:47 »
Hi Mikeb, thank you for that, all adds to the story. So far I have established that in 1893, Gale & Polden, printers moved from Brompton to Aldershot; apparently they had a contract to print army and naval forms/documents. As "preferred contractors" they were afforded the privilege of using the Military sidings at Chatham to ship their printing presses, so that puts the sidings there circa 1893.
We have established, I believe, that it was in use until the 1950s. again thanks to Mikebs ID of the army truck. Given the station was opened in 1858 I think that just about covers it. However I am always willing to learn. Thanks guys and gals.

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2013, 10:12:57 »
When I was a small child (1943-1948 ish) we lived in Ordnance Terrace roughly where the small black van is in the photo. I can well re-call standing there with my mother watching a column of troops being marched up that slope and away into town, presumably to Brompton. Their train was berthed in the long platform which runs under the road bridge. adjacent to the short siding. Date unknown I'm afraid.

I had always been given to understand, perhaps quite wrongly, that this platform was the "Military Platform". It was not directly connected to the public platforms. The short bay was an end loading facility only.

I was also led to believe this longer platform was used during the 1st. World War by ambulance trains.

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
  • "Oh, sod it; the bloody thing’s stuck again"
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2013, 16:56:09 »
The Bedford Truck in the photo is an OY.

I think the date of the photo is late '50's.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2013, 15:41:10 »
The Bedford QL was in use in the RAF from early in the war until at least 1952, so presumably the same for the army.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2013, 14:03:54 »
Does anyone know what the Military platform were used for. interesting that it was called Military as opposed to Naval or Admiralty, implying that it was in Army use.
  Looking at Smiffy`s photo, it must have been in use into the early sixties? I understand after that, the Bedford q l truck became the standard army cargo truck.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2013, 18:32:00 »
If people didn't air their knowledge there would be no point in the forum. If what is posted is not always correct then, hopefully, someone will correct it - in that way we all learn.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline howard

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2013, 17:31:31 »
Don't worry, it's just that Sentinel S4 and I are know alls (well, I am, he may object to the description!).  We like to air our knowledge when we can be sure we are right (or wrong sometimes).

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2013, 23:10:23 »
Thank you Howard and Sentinel S4 for your accurate and precise description and function of the fusible plug.
I will endeavour at all times to be correct with information I may publish in the forum, I just glossed over that bit, didn't think it would be of much interest, how wrong I was.
I stand suitably chastened.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines