News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Canterbury Motor Company.  (Read 8801 times)

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
Re: Canterbury Motor Company.
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 18:46:11 »
I would love to have one of the 500 Guinea cars.... Does anyone know if any survive?

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline Nemo

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 16:20:10 »
I dunno, you start off musing over a photograph in one topic and end up on quite another!  So, here's what you could get for 500 guineas in 1904...  http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/canterbury.htm

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 19:37:17 »
Thank you Mickleburg I was beginning to think I had lost the plot about the cars.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline LenP

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 19:03:00 »
JohnWalke, it's the former St. Mary Bredin School. Tina Machado has a page about it here: http://www.machadoink.com/St%20Mary%20Bredin%20Schools.htm

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 15:47:52 »
Bit late coming to this thread - sorry. Also very sorry that `The Pavillion` garage at Rhodaus Town is seemingly to be redeveloped.
This was originally a skating rink, I think, taken over as a garage by Henry Pavillett and who with his partner Dawson (who was the engineer of the partnership) built cars under the `Canterbury` name and also an aeroplane in 1911 (flown at St Martins Park). Also introduced the first taxi-cabs in Canterbury, 1909. I did a piece in `Bygone Kent` on that some years ago
Pavillett is a bit of a mystery, seemingly born London 1875 and married (1899) a lady (probably widow) some fourteen years his senior, Adela Ellice-Clark, who may have been French (`De` was added to the name thereafter) and rumoured to be of some wealth. Other than being in the Isle of Wight in 1901 he avoided Census but is known to have died in Canterbury in 1960. Must search for an obit sometime.

Offline Barrowboy

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 23:59:43 »
Regarding the Maidstone branch of Rootes. When passing through the town one-way system I always glance at and admire the (now) Peugeot showroom on the left. The 1930's Art Deco building looks stunning with the mill stream in the foreground. I believe this was originally Tillings factory.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 19:14:43 »
Interesting information oasthouse - thank you.

Any information on the old school? - I'm told that my late Mum and Gran both went there many years ago.  I tried to research it but couldn't find the name.

JW

oasthouse

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 09:15:20 »
My grandfather worked at Canterbury Motor Company for 42 years (Sam Filby) from the 1930s. According to legend the CMC building was originally an ice or roller skate rink and was purchased/converted by Lord Rootes hence its original name Rootes – Canterbury.

Lord Rootes also had garages in Rochester and Maidstone. The Canterbury site had a large footprint that extended all the way up to Lansdown Road/Nunnery Fields with car and truck repairs, a paint shop, spare parts store, new and second hand car sales. My grandfather was the store manager and 2nd IC of the business. The station side of the plot (Pin Hill) has a listed building – an old school called by everyone on site ‘the school’ and was used as offices and spare parts store.

During WW2 the garage was used to build military vehicles which gave my grandfather a reserved occupation. He moaned about being in charge of 100s of moaning, swearing, belligerent women by day and stuck in a fox hole up New House Lane for Dad’s army at night. He would have been much happier fighting the enemy face to face.

In the 70’s the company produced a small booklet about the history of CMC which I have a copy. There’re some rare photos in the publication

As a student (1972-75) I worked part time in the stores for my grandfather. At that time the business was owned by Chrysler but there were loads of old parts still kept in bins for the older cars like Humber and Hillman. The Chrysler group also owned a French company called SIMCA so they also sold SIMCA 1000, 1500. We also occasionally saw the big yank cars come in like the Dodge Charger – a real beast. Rod Hull the entertainer owned one and had the lads in stitches when he brought it in for a service.

I believe the site was purchased by Peugeot in the 80’s when my grandfather retired and remained in their care until the sale this year (2013).

There’s a lot of history and memories under that old domed roof, let’s hope a sympathetic replacement is commissioned, alas probably not, wait for the next  ‘student’ related annex to manifests itself (another subject)!

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 13:04:02 »
There were certainly cars built here before the Great War. I did see a picture of one and if memory serves it looked similar to the Rolls Royce Silver Ghost in size and deportment. I am aware of the Invicta Car Company that comes and goes every 50 or so years. I believe that one of the models built at the old garage was named Invicta, I believe another was the Black Prince. I wish I had kept the old Classic Cars magazine I saw this in, it vanished some 20 years ago during a home move.

S4.

The vehicles I mean are strictly Edwardian. As far as I can remember nothing was built here after 1914. There are several vehicles from the 1920's onward that have carried the names Invicta and Black Prince. The vehicles I mean are the big purpose built chassis and separate coach work, machines of an elegant age when you paid someone to drive and maintain the Motor and it was kept in the stables.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 11:59:47 »
There was/is an Invicta car that has nothing to do with Kent. Google 'Invicta (Car)' and click on Wikipedia for details (for some reason copying and pasting the link doesn't work).

Also Tilling-Stevens had a factory in St Peter's Street, Maidstone that I think was called 'Invicta Works'.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
Canterbury Motor Company.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 11:18:56 »
I know not if anyone else has noticed but the Canterbury Motor Company premises has been closed for redevelopment into, yet more, student housing. This might not sound too much but the history associated with this garage is long and honourable. Latterly it was a purveyor of French cars but when a garage was first established on the site they built their own. Sadly I don't have any details about these, I believe there are still a couple about. All I know is they were among the first motor cars built in England. I for one would like to know more about this place and the cars. In the best traditions of the KHF I am hoping that someone knows something.

S4.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines