News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Belvedere Battery Ditch (south-eastern)  (Read 5873 times)

Online Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
Re: Belvedere Battery Ditch (south-eastern)
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2017, 20:32:53 »
I can't find the ones I took of the drainage channel but the first one below shows the ditch height when the fort was taken over by the Trust, and the second shows the ditch floor is about 1 - 2 feet below the current level.

Revisiting this thread I've noticed the tennis club changing rooms/pavilion (as opposed to the clubhouse) is still there in Kyn's first photo, so that must be a pretty old photo. Any idea of the date of that photo (or when the pavilion was removed?)
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 14:42:43 »
Some photos from a walk around last night:

cliveh

medwayboy

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 19:47:33 »
Does Kyn or anyone have photos of the inside of the barracks facing towards the ditch with the recesses, there has to be a reason that was built, plus the defended area above and in front of the barracks seems to have a door in the barracks wall for access, is this so and should the wall be all of one height?

Online Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 18:33:49 »
Thanks for the pics kyn, I had forgotten how high the ditch fill used to be before the trust took over!

In light of the current level difference, I am thinking there would be 2 or 3 steps up into the barracks from the ditch, and that may well explain what the pink square is on the plan.
=========

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 18:15:53 »
I can't find the ones I took of the drainage channel but the first one below shows the ditch height when the fort was taken over by the Trust, and the second shows the ditch floor is about 1 - 2 feet below the current level.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 17:32:09 »
I will check my photos for you.

Online Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 17:30:57 »
The original level was lower when the fort was in use, and there was a drainage channel along the middle of the ditch (shown on the plans) which I am told is still there beneath the surface. I'm not sure exactly how much deeper it was originally, but the step up into the barracks was probably somewhat higher. Perhaps someone on here remembers it when it was excavated and clarify this.
=========

medwayboy

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 17:12:16 »
Are you saying original level before barracks were built? as the doorway is about right for the present level! also that for the kitchen door.

Online Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 15:56:28 »
Whatever the pink square is may well be buried as the current ground level in the ditch is somewhat above its original depth.
=========

medwayboy

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 13:04:00 »
The only thing protruding into the ditch where the entrance to the barracks is, is the step in your photo. Is it big enough to show in the plan? If the plan was scaled, how big would that pink square be?

Online Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 11:28:44 »
That is an interesting thought medwayboy. From looking at the position of the L-shaped ditch relative to Prince William's Battery, I don't think it moved, but when I get time I'll try some overlays and see what that throws up. I think I remember once hearing that shortly befire the barracks was built, a ditch was added behind the L-shaped one and that was what the barracks was built into (perhaps this is the outline on the 1813 plan?) but that was told to me, not garnered from an original source, so it may not be correct.  As always with Chatham Lines, we understand the big picture very well, but some of the smaller details can still be elusive.

As for the location, the picture shows, if you look at the 1867 plan, there is a pink square next to a spot height saying '178' - that is where the entrance in the photo is (and no, I don't know for sure what the pink square is!).
=========

medwayboy

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 11:04:43 »
Leofwine, is your picture of the entrance to the barracks being built into a ditch...the same ditch as shown on your first plan of the other post about the ditch in front of the barracks? it seems to be on the same line, and having built the barracks they then moved the small ditch to the front of the barracks still in L shape form!

merc

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 00:54:20 »
This part of the ditch would have been defended by a 3 gun battery on the Prince of Wales Bastion. Nothing remains of the gun positions which were probably demolished when a sports pavilion (changing rooms?) connected to the United Services (Officers) Lawn Tennis Club (now the Chatham Garrison Lawn Tennis Club) was built on the site. The pavilion has since been removed.

Online Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
Belvedere Battery Ditch (south-eastern)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 23:39:34 »
This ditch has a number of interesting features in it. The most obvious are the entrance unto Prince William's Barracks (http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=11206.0), the Gun Positions/Kitchen/Laundry (http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=16136.0) and now the Prince William's Bridge (http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=7604.0) that crosses it, but there are also a number of other details worth mentioning.

Plan from 1867 showing the ditch and some of the features.

The entrance from the ditch into Prince William's Barracks. If you look carefully each side of the two arched windows, you can see the angled brickwork of an earlier ditch that the barracks were built in to.

At the southern end of the ditch is a cross wall, part of the massive red brick wall that dominates the skyline of Chatham town centre. From the Chatham (attackers') side there is almost no hint this ditch exists. However, there is a bricked up doorway in the wall, at ground level inside the fortifications, but some 10-12 feet above the ground level on the other side of the wall. I do not know much about the purpose of this door, but have been told that it was put in during the Second World War and is not an original feature.

The plan above also shows drainage in the area as yellow lines. The 1869 plan below shows the same details:

There are also two cisterns shown, presumably supplying water to the barracks and kitchen/laundry. There is little trace of the southern one which is associated with the kitchen/laundry, but a feature in the wall at the northern end seems to be some sort of culvert or similar associated with the other cistern.

'Culvert' in north-eastern ditch wall

=========

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines