News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: St Nicholas Cemetery, Maidstone Road, Rochester, Kent.  (Read 3566 times)

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
Re: St Nicholas Cemetery, Maidstone Road, Rochester, Kent.
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 17:13:37 »
Fred the needle, as I lived a couple of minutes from the cemetery for about 30 years I used to play there as a child and when I grew up often used to go there just for a walk and a piece of quiet. It was a wonderful place where you could be alone with your thoughts, I do miss that now I have moved.
***I am still the child within***

Fred the Needle

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 11:23:57 »
I used to go to Holcombe Road Infants School.  I remember that during the Summer term we were taken out on occasions to walk around this Cemetery.

There never seemed to be a purpose to our walk other than to get fresh air (I assume).  Can't even say that the Teachers talked about the fauna and flora to be seen.

All I can remember is walking round in the requisite crocodile for some time and then going back to school.

Precious

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 18:12:45 »
I didn't realise that this cemetery was next to St. Margaret's, I thought it was all the same, probably as the buildings had gone when I was there many years ago.

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
St Nicholas Cemetery, Maidstone Road, Rochester, Kent.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 13:59:39 »
 'St Nicholas cemetery'  Picture below from the Cityark Couchman collection.

http://cityark.medway.gov.uk/query/results/?Mode=ShowImg&Img=/cityark/Scans/Unofficial_or_Privately_Originated_Collections/DE0402_Couchman_ephemera_and_MSS_/DE0402_09.html/DE402_9_23.jpg

St Nicholas was where my grandmother, whom I never met, was buried. It was the first cemetery so my grandfather said and once the ground was full they pulled the chapels down and buildings only leaving the old cemetery house and used the ground next to it, St. Margaret`s Cemetery which had its own Cemetery house and chapels built. I`m not sure how exact my grandfathers information was.
Below is a piece I found on St Margaret`s Cemetery.

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-173104-st-margaret-s-cemetery-chapels-

Both St. Nicholas cottage and St Margaret`s Lodge have been refurbished and sold to the public. Both these cemeteries were a playground to us youngsters who had rules about never stepping on graves and the word vandalism did not enter our thoughts but respect did.
***I am still the child within***

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines