News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gyproc Ltd  (Read 10119 times)

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
Re: Gyproc Ltd
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2015, 16:49:44 »
signals 99. I remember the Gyproc factory- making " plaster" boards for housing. I was in 213 Sqdn. ATC ( CofRochester) in 1945-'47  & our HQ was under the railway arches in Gashouse Road ( or possibly The Common) & Gyproc went on from there either to Gashouse point or Corys Wharf - I never went that far but there were always stacks of boards close to us.

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2015, 23:14:11 »

Offline martinellingham

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2015, 22:40:53 »
Hi, I'm new to the forum but was fascinated about the Gyproc factory. Does anyone know when the original Rochester factory closed? I think that it opened around 1934 and that the Glasgow factory opened around 1938 but I can't find out when either plant closed. (Despite e-mailing the current company!) Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Martin Ellingham

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2013, 11:39:43 »
An early 1990ís plan of the British Gypsum sidings at Mountfield:

Apologies for the blurred image, but to clarify it was a 4-road layout with access via a trailing connection from the up-line 140 yards south of Mountfield Tunnel, between Robertsbridge to the north and Battle to the south.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2013, 07:55:20 »
Thanks Torpointblue I missed that link,now I know,sorry

torpointblue

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 15:45:00 »
I've just found that on Google earth. Don`t know what the site is, but it is connected by some means (pipe or covered conveyor) guessing here. For a full 3 miles through woodland,  to the the main Mountfield works. Mountfield being the site that took over the work from Rochester.

Offline Paolo

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 15:13:24 »
Am I correct in thinking that there were gypsum mines or quarries, with sidings off the Tunbridge Wells to Hastings railway line, somewhere in the Robertsbridge area?

There is still a British Gypsum plant in Ashen Wood, south-east of Sarah Raven's at Perch Hill, Burwash.

torpointblue

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 14:55:25 »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermiculite    Try this Link to Wiki...

torpointblue

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 14:50:39 »
"Many thanks Torpointblue, just one more question please, does "vermiculite" ring a bell with you?
What was it and how was it made?"

Sorry Signals99, I can`t help you on that one.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 14:35:47 »
Ref last request for information, yes I have googled  it. It's some form of insulation, but what was it made of?.  How was it made ?

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 14:22:46 »
Many thanks Torpointblue, just one more question please, does "vermiculite"ring a bell with you
What was it and how was it made?

torpointblue

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 10:41:59 »
Thats sounds about right to me. Some other by products were produced too, such as cove adhesive. The main work like crushing, heating, mixing etc., was at the east end of the factory. The board was formed on a single line that ran west. At the far end it was cut and transferred to the drying line in 3's. There was another section that took new board and applied foil as an insulation board. As I said previously they also had the Cove plant at Blue Boar works.  I can still picture that place to this day, 40 years on. I loved it.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 08:25:15 »
Once again, I am very impressed by the response to my enquiry, thank you all!
I understand the process of manufacture was the gypsum got ground up then boiled or "calcinated", mixed with various substances and water. The resultant goo? then sandwiched between sheets of paper and dried in a conveyer fed oven some five hundred ft long. Can anyone verify this ?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 18:52:43 »
I don't think British Gypsum will be happy with you Bryn they have enough competition fom Knauff in Sittingbourne already.  :)

With its headquarters at East Leake in Leicestershire, British Gypsum
 currently has 5 major manufacturing plants in the UK.
Barrow-upon-Soar, Leicestershire
East Leake, Leicestershire
Kirkby Thore, Cumbria
Robertsbridge, East Sussex
Sherburn-in-Elmet, North Yorkshire

http://www.british-gypsum.com/products/plasterboard___accessories.aspx

I haven`t any first hand knowledge of this incident but was told about it by someone who had his ceilings removed and replaced but later the new ceilings had to be replaced again. He gave the reason as incompatibility with the two materials. I thought it a bit strange at the time - this was at least 25 years ago. Perhaps he got it wrong!

Edit: It`s just come to me - I think there was also some problem with the plaster.

torpointblue

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 18:41:42 »
Yes Peter. They once had a plant in Erith that closed. Then Rochester closed and If I recall correctly they had built a new plant at Robertsbridge near the mines. Makes sense cutting out all those transport costs.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines