News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gyproc Ltd  (Read 10141 times)

Offline ashwood

• Appreciation 6
Re: Gyproc Ltd
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 17:42:07 »
Yes British Gypsum, 50 yrs ago one had to load their own lorry out of a covered railway wagon used to come out of the mine in paper bags the size of potato bag, fastened with a wire tie. As with cement the bags to hot to handle without gloves. The bags were rather fragile, the dust unbelievable when they split.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 17:07:06 »
Am I correct in thinking that there were gypsum mines or quarries, with sidings off the Tunbridge Wells to Hastings railway line, somewhere in the Robertsbridge area?
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

torpointblue

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 16:46:22 »
One of the happiest times in my working career was the 18 months I worked for British Gypsum. As has been said, very dusty and very hot. But hand on heart I could not wish to work for a better company. As for Coving not being compatible with the board, they had there own Cove plant, just east of the main factory, accessed via Blue Boar Lane. In fact it was called Blue Boar works. I left when the Factory went on the now famous three day week. I was lucky enough to find another job still on full hours of work. I fondly remember my time there.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 101
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 16:08:00 »
I don't think British Gypsum will be happy with you Bryn they have enough competition fom Knauff in Sittingbourne already.  :)

With its headquarters at East Leake in Leicestershire, British Gypsum
 currently has 5 major manufacturing plants in the UK.
Barrow-upon-Soar, Leicestershire
East Leake, Leicestershire
Kirkby Thore, Cumbria
Robertsbridge, East Sussex
Sherburn-in-Elmet, North Yorkshire

http://www.british-gypsum.com/products/plasterboard___accessories.aspx

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 16:00:43 »
Can not understand how Gyproc Board would not be compatible with coving. No respectable builder would have trouble with that job, any body who did have a problem should find another occupation.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 15:45:14 »
I don`t think that Gyproc have a factory in the UK any longer.
I recall there was a council estate in Kent that was scheduled to have the ceilings replaced using Gyproc boards and also some form of coving. I was told that the whole scheme was abandoned following a few attempts as the Gyproc boards and coving were incompatible.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
Gyproc Ltd
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 15:30:13 »
Hi! Anyone recall the Gyproc plaster board factory at Rochester, it was in the Gas House Lane area of Corporation Street Rochester. I think they manufactured fire proof building products. Understand it was a fairly bad place to work, dust and heatwise?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines