News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Government House, Chatham Barracks  (Read 4926 times)

Online smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 63
Re: Government House, Chatham Barracks
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 01:31:46 »
That's quite a list of notable people. No doubt in time of war many other famous visitors would go unreported.

It's peculiar how these sections of garden wall have managed to survive after the main building was demolished so long ago.

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 17:50:22 »
Smiffy mentions the potential for famous visitors to Government House. He is right to do so for there were a few. Here are a few examples.

In 1802/03 General Sir John Moore was resident. It was during this time that he created the first Light Infantry regiment in the British Army training them on the Lines.
In 1836 to 1841 the Commandant at Chatham was Colonel Sir William Warre. At this time the Chatham Mess was reputed to have the finest cellar of Port in the British Army. Not surprising given that Sir William was one of the famous Port producing family.
On August 14 1863 Field Marshal Sir Colin Campbell died in Government House whilst visiting his old friends Major-General and Mrs Henry Eyre.
Field Marshall Sir Evelyn Wood, V.C., G.C.B., G.C.M.G., between 1880 and 1882 was resident when he served on two occasions as Commander at Chatham on either side of commands in South Africa during the 1st Boer War.
Lt General Sir Charles Warren was resident in 1898 as Commander of the Thames District. He had a varied military career. Was one time Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police during the Jack the Ripper period and helped Baden Powell in the creation of the Boy Scout movement.
Charles Dickens was often a guest at Government House during the residency of General Freeman Murray to whom he gave a full autographed set of his books.

Online smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 63
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 20:53:09 »
Two of the walls enclosing what I believe could be described as the "private" garden are still there, the only remnant left of what was surely at one time, a quite notable residence. Many important and even famous military figures no doubt once walked or sat within them. Do any ghosts wander hereabouts, I wonder?

I have marked in pink the remaining sections on the plan originally posted by Leofwine.

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 08:27:50 »
The photo shows a typical working Government residence with working offices on the lower ground floor and a separate front door to the residential apartments up the stairs. My thought is that as a major hub of social life in the area the covered stairway was to enable visitors to alight from carriages straight into an undercover area when it is raining. Admiralty House in Medway Road and the Commissioner's House in the Dockyard had/have similar arrangements.

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
  • Today is only yesterday's tomorrow
    • Brompton History Research Group
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 19:03:27 »
My guess is that the covered one is the Officers, Gentlemen & Ladies entrance, the other is for other ranks and lower class civilians!
=========
Brompton History Research Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1891788967775575/

Online smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 63
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 18:52:17 »
Interesting that one set of steps is covered and the other isn't.

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 18:41:03 »

The house in 1857. Photograph reproduced by permission of the Royal Engineers Museum www.re-museum.co.uk
(Image removed from quote.)

That's a great photo Leofwine and your right it is an impressive building!

cliveh

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 18:35:15 »
Yes smiffy, that is the location. I'm not sure what the current structure is, nor exactly when the original building was demolished.

The house in 1857. Photograph reproduced by permission of the Royal Engineers Museum www.re-museum.co.uk
=========

Online smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 63
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 18:17:56 »
I've been trying to figure out exactly where this was, am I right in assuming this was the location? Can't figure out what the building occupying the site now is.

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 18:00:39 »
Thanks Leofwine

cliveh

Offline Leofwine

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 355
Government House, Chatham Barracks
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 17:34:33 »
An interesting article

Where was 'Government House' please Leofwine?

cliveh

I believe Government House was one of the names given to the Commandant's house in Chatham (now Kitchener) Barracks. It is long gone but was an impressive structure with huge gardens. It was located in the southeast corner of the barracks and the gardens were on the southern part of what is now known as Amherst Hill. The garden area is meant to be turned into parkland as part of the Amherst Hill housing development.

=========

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines