News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Star of David  (Read 5406 times)

Merry

Re: The Star of David
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 20:19:56 »
The old St Mary's on Dock Road, Chatham, has a large Star of David window.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 11:18:58 »
I did state on another thread that it seems to be a fairly common part of Victorian Ecclesiastical Architecture. The old Anglican Church at St Augustine's Hosp featured the Star of David in many aspects of design.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 11:10:28 »
......and don't forget " marching round the city walls seven times and blowing the trumpet 7 times "
and the walls all fell down . Bang !!
The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

Offline Bobdonk

• Appreciation 22
    • Bus Walks
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 20:44:19 »
On a recent visit to Tunbridge Wells I noticed a Star of David on the drainpipe of King Charles The Martyr Church

Today I noticed a similar one on the side of All Saints Church Wouldham

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 14:25:37 »
Found this on the net -

The Star of David, a symbol first seen in writing in a 12th century work, has become associated with the Jewish people and their sanctuaries. The symbol only became heavily associated with Judaism when it was chosen as the emblem for the Zionist movement in 1897.

There are several interpretations of the meaning of the Star of David. Most frequently, the star is associated with the number seven (derived from the six points plus the center). This number has considerable religious significance in Judaism, which can be noted in several examples including the six days of Creation plus the seventh day of rest, as well as the Seven Archangels of God. In the same vein, the Star of David may have evolved as an abstract symbol of the Menorah (the more traditional symbol for Judaism that once stood in the Temple of Jerusalem), due to its association with light as well as its geometric organization into 3+3+1, which corresponds to the seven branches of the Menorah.

Another view of the Star of David locates its meaning in the name David itself. In Hebrew spelling (דוד), David contains only three characters, two of which are "D" (or "Dalet," in Hebrew). In ancient times, this letter was written in a form much like a triangle, similar to the Greek letter Delta (Δ). Thus, the symbol may have been a family crest formed by flipping and juxtaposing the two most prominent letters in the name.

Given the adoption by Judaism in 1897 it would seem that prior to this (as in the examples given) that the Star Of David was a purely Christian symbol used by the Jews hence its application on Anglican churches of the Victorian era.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 16:39:32 »
Several of the windows and plaques in the old C of E chapel at St Augustine's Hospital featured the Star of David. It does seem to feature in Victorian ecclesiastical architecture quite a lot.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 16:01:56 »
Minster Abbey church on Sheppey also has at least one cast hopper with the Star of David embossed and the date 1880. I have a picture somewhere if it is needed.

Offline Bobdonk

• Appreciation 22
    • Bus Walks
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 23:12:46 »
I have no idea why the Star of David appears on the drainpipe but I'm going to keep a look out for them on other churches.

Offline linyarin

• Appreciation 45
    • Cliffe History
The Star of David
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 17:14:49 »
In 1882 Ewan Christian re-orientated the Church and about that time a new drainpipe was added. For some reason this is adorned with a star of David.

That's interesting Bobdonk, any idea why it has the Star of David? I ask as the drainpipes on the Hoo St. Werburgh Parish Church also have the Star of David and are dated 1872.
See: http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=11385.msg91333#msg91333

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines