News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gravesend Old Town Hall statues  (Read 2619 times)

Offline Apollo

• Appreciation 11
Re: Gravesend Old Town Hall statues
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 11:59:52 »
An email from Gravesend Historical Society has created even more intrigue into this little mystery:

"I know that many of the recent printed histories say that the statues were taken down during WWII but this is incorrect. The statues were actually encased in wood to protect them (I was told verbally by someone who helped to uncase them) and I found in the "Gravesend Reporter" March 26, 1949 an article that they had been taken down in March 1949 because they were in a dangerous condition. The claim was that the arms were falling off which, of course, may well have been due to war damage. An elder statesman of the Gravesend Historical Society who unfortunately has since died told me that it was rumoured that the statues, when taken down, were sold (or used) for road repairs but the veracity of this last part I can't confirm."
The more we learn the less we know.

Offline Apollo

• Appreciation 11
Gravesend Old Town Hall statues
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 13:42:06 »
The pediment atop Gravesend Old Town Hall was originally surmounted by three huge, fine statues of 'Truth, Minerva and Justice'. These were removed in 1939 in case of air raids dislodging them. Despite efforts by historian, Robert Heath Hiscock, to find out what happened to them, their whereabouts today remains unknown.

Gracing the garden of a manor house, perhaps or carelessly destroyed by a council employee after the war?
The more we learn the less we know.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines