News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Did you know ?  (Read 11607 times)

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
Re: Did you know ?
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2013, 15:36:12 »
Some of my most happiest days were spent around the Australian coast. To name but a few ;- I sung ? with Burl Ives at a friend`s house in Manly; I have danced with Jessie Mathews, (remember her?); I have been bowled out playing cricket by Ray Lindwall: I have drunk beers with the Australian Prime Minister of many years ago (and stood with him when the banners read " Go away ***** we don't want you here) as we sailed into Freemantle. I was very friendly with a family from Calgoolie, was it ??/ in Western Australia and whose family were the original gold miners and owned the hotel, the shops, post office, etc. My Aussie friend opened the Post Office in Melboune for me to give me a First Day cover with the stamps of the Queen's Coronation when all of the post offices in Australia were shut. ETC, ETC, ETC,.  Happy days, a lovely country and lovely people. (Make sure that your wife reads this Fred the N).
The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

Fred the Needle

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2013, 10:57:41 »
I hear tell that Wiki..... can be altered by the public.

Yes, but it is checked by Wiki apparently in order to stop people putting on urban myths (like Bob Holness playing the saxaphone on "Baker Street")

The bit about the kangaroo name also appeared on QI recently by the way.

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2013, 17:41:57 »
On one of my trips to Australia we, a very large Royal Mail ship, were held up by the dockers who wanted " temptation money " as a bribe(?) before they would unload a ship's cargo of Scotch Whisky, and on another occasion they demanded, and got, embarrassment money before they would unload a ship full of toilet seats. Good old Aussie !!!!

I hear tell that Wiki..... can be altered by the public.

Fred the Needle

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 13:50:07 »
When Captain Cook was taken around Australia just after he landed he saw a strange animal that he had never seen before and he asked his aboriginal guide what was it called, his guide replied  "kangaroo " and so it was called.
Later he discoverd that kangaroo was the aboriginal word for " I don't know".

From Wiki.............The word "kangaroo" derives from the Guugu Yimithirr word gangurru, referring to grey kangaroos. The name was first recorded as "kanguru" on 12 July 1770 in an entry in the diary of Sir Joseph Banks; this occurred at the site of modern Cooktown, on the banks of the Endeavour River, where HMS Endeavour under the command of Lieutenant James Cook was beached for almost seven weeks to repair damage sustained on the Great Barrier Reef. Cook first referred to kangaroos in his diary entry of 4 August. Guugu Yimithirr is the language of the people of the area.
A common myth about the kangaroo's English name is that "kangaroo" was a Guugu Yimithirr phrase for "I don't understand you." According to this legend, Lieutenant Cook and naturalist Sir Joseph Banks were exploring the area when they happened upon the animal. They asked a nearby local what the creatures were called. The local responded "Kangaroo", meaning "I don't understand you", which Cook took to be the name of the creature. The Kangaroo myth was debunked in the 1970s by linguist John B. Haviland in his research with the Guugu Yimithirr people.

My wife is Australian and continually gets cheesed off with this myth..............

And it was the Aboriginal Tribes in Tasmania who only had 3 words for the numbers (one, two, plenty) even though, having 10 hand digits and ten foot digits they could tell you HOW big "plenty" was up to a point.  Similarly, the Aboriginal tribes in what is now basically Western Australia counted 0ne, two, many and could indicate (up to 20) what "many" meant.

Please keep off the Aussie stuff or I'll get an earwigging about the urban myths..........

Oh, and by the way - A duck's quack DOES echo.

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 23:03:13 »
At the end of the Second World War there were various proposed monuments to Winston Churchill.
One was a huge face (think Mount Rushmore) carved into the cliffs at Dover, with an ever burning cigar to warn off ships!
Another proposal was for a gigantic v-sign, two fingers on a revolving base, to be placed on the Toronto lakeside......

Source, BBC History Magazine February 2003.

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2013, 19:19:23 »
I knew about the Queenborough paper but did not know there was one titled Eastchurch. When I get time I shall have to pop down there and have a look. Thankyou CDP.

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 19:06:20 »
Once upon a time:  Queenborough and Eastchurch had their own local newspapers.
  What happend to the missing numbers I wonder?

These papers below are held in the Sheerness Library.
Queenborough’s own Guardian newspaper nos.353 and 359    1909 June 12th/July 24th
and
Queenborough Guardian and Eastchurch Advertiser No.275     1907 Feb 23rd

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2013, 19:39:13 »
 :) :)
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2013, 19:38:18 »
When Captain Cook was taken around Australia just after he landed he saw a strange animal that he had never seen before and he asked his aboriginal guide what was it called , his  guide replied   "kangaroo " and so it was called .
Later he discoverd that kangaroo was the aboriginal  name for " I don't know "

Offline busyglen

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 69
    • Westminster Village
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 19:34:48 »
More than enough. Which is what I've always wanted...   :)

:) :)
A smile is a curve that straightens things out.

Offline chasg

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 18:47:27 »
More than enough. Which is what I've always wanted...   :)

Offline busyglen

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 69
    • Westminster Village
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 18:42:05 »
Did you know that the Australian  Aboriginal method of counting is "  one,  two , plenty, "  there are  no sums to do, no tables to remember,  no homework . What a lovely life .

But how much is plenty!  :)
A smile is a curve that straightens things out.

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 17:47:55 »
Did you know that the Australian Aboriginal method of counting is " one,  two, plenty",  there are no sums to do, no tables to remember, no homework. What a lovely life.

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 22:21:17 »
Albert Einstein visited Winston Churchill at his home in Chartwell, Kent in 1933, his name is in the visitors book.
And here's a link to a photo  :)  http://access.cjh.org/home.php?type=extid&term=928751#1

jeroma

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 08:01:56 »
Einstein is one of my favourite personalities in history and to read such things about him is very interesting. I will also add some what I have read.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines