News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Milton, next Sittingbourne Parish - 1847  (Read 3948 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

busyglen

  • Guest
Re: Milton, next Sittingbourne Parish - 1847
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 18:23:16 »
You are welcome.  :)

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1523
  • Appreciation 238
Re: Milton, next Sittingbourne Parish - 1847
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 23:50:06 »
Thank you busyglen  :)

busyglen

  • Guest
Re: Milton, next Sittingbourne Parish - 1847
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 16:37:56 »
This link shows more information about Castle Rough:
http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=5564.msg137399#msg137399

busyglen

  • Guest
Milton, next Sittingbourne Parish - 1847
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 15:01:04 »
Milton is a parish and market town, situated about half a mile north from the London and Canterbury-road, at the eastern boundary of the parish, the town extending on a declivity eastwardly to the head of the creek, which flows north-westward from hence, and at two miles distance, after several meanderings, joins the waters of the Swale, which forms the channel between the Isle of Sheppy and the coast of Kent.  The town is very ancient, and consists of a number of small streets, which intersect each other at right angles, and is a port for barges, 12 miles N.E. by E. from Maidstone, 7 ¾ miles W. by N. from Faversham, 40 miles E. by S. from London.  The parish contains 2,480 acres of land, which on the northern part is very rich and fertile, adjoining to these are the marshes, which extend to the Swale; among the marshes is a decoy for wild fowl, which are much esteemed for their size and flavour; in 1841, here were 398 inhabited houses, 12 uninhabited, and 1 house building; and 2,538 inhabitants, of whom 1,238 were males…..1,300 females.  Population in 1801, 1,622; In 1831, 2,233; estimated rental, £11,130.5s.  Rateable value, £7,603.  The principal landowners are Lady Baroness Wenman, Lord Harris, W.W. Gascoyne, Esq., John Hinde, Esq., and William Lake, Esq.: the former of whom, is lady of the manor, there are also a number of smaller proprietors.

THE CHURCH, situated some distance from the present town, is supposed to have been adjoining the ancient town, destroyed by Earl Godwin, which stood much nearer the Swale than the present town, and had a stream of water flowing through it from the south.  It is dedicated to the Holy Trinity, and is a large handsome structure, partly in the decorated style, with nave, south aisle, and two chancels, and a heavy embattled tower at the west end, built of square flints, in which are five bells; in the south chancel or chapel, which belonged to the ancient family of Northwood, are a piscine and two stone seats, it also contains several ancient monuments.  The living is a vicarage, valued in the King’s books £13.2s.6d.; patrons and appropriators, Dean and Chapter of Canterbury; Rev. William Bennett, M.A. incumbent; the Rev. John L. Bennett is the curate.  The appropriate tithes were commuted, in 1839 for £836.11s.9d., and the vicarial for £362.15s.  The vicar has 2 acres of ancient glebe.  William the Conqueror, in his 5th year, gave to the abbot and convent of St. Augustine the church of Milton, alias Middleton, and the tenths of all the products accruing from that manor, which, with some short intermissions, continued part of the possessions of that monastery till its dissolution in the 30th year of Henry VIII, who, in his 33rd year, settled the appropriation of this church and the advowson of the vicarage on his new founded Dean and Chapter of Canterbury.  The ancient annual pension of four shillings, one quarter of wheat, and three quarters of barley, stipulated to be paid by the religious on the endowment of this vicarage by Archbishop Stratford, in 1335, still continues to be paid from the appropriate tithes.

The WESLEYAN METHODIST and INDEPENDENTS have each a chapel in the town.  The NATIONAL SCHOOL was established in 1821.  A new School, with a residence for the teacher, is now in course of erection which will cost about £700.

GAS WORKS were established by the Commissioners of the parish in 1836, at a cost of £2,000 and the town was lighted on December 9th, in the same year.  Stephen Court,superintendent; and H. Hyder, secretary.

The town is governed by a Portreve, who is chosen annually on the 25th July, whose office is to preserve good order in the town, and who has a claim of threepence and one-eighth of a penny for every ton of coals imported into the manor and hundred of Milton.  The trade and wealth of Milton seems to have been for many years gradually increasing: the corn and commodities of the neighbourhood being shipped from the wharfs on this creek for London, and goods of all sorts brought back in return.  The town has been considerably improved within the last few years, and many new houses built; it is well lighted with gas and paved; the Commissioners of Paving having expended £1,468.11s. during the year 1847.

THE OYSTER FISHERY, which belongs to the manor and hundred of Milton, is of considerable account, and the Company of Free Fishermen and Dredgers, numbering about 160 persons, hold this fishery on lease from the owners of the manor.  The Milton Natives, as they are usually called, are considered the finest and best flavoured of any in England, and are in great demand in London, whence they are sent to all parts of the kingdom.  A very considerable capital is employed in stocking and storing the ground with young oysters and brood.  The Rutupian oysters, recorded by Juvenal, as of so much consequence to the gastronomists of ancient Rome, are supposed to have been no other than the Milton `Natives.  The market is on a Saturday, and a fair for cattle and toys is held on July 24th; near the centre of the town is the shambles and market-house, having a clock and bell, which is rung not only for the purposes of the market, but for calling of the parishioners to Church, for funerals, and for occasional parish meetings.  The commodious situation for navigation near the Swale caused it to be frequented by the Danes in their piratical excursions into this country, particularly in 893, when under the command of Hastings, landed in the parish, they built themselves a fortress here, at a place called Kemsley-downe, in the marshes, about midway between the town and the mouth of the creek.  It is of a square form, and surrounded by a high bank and broad ditch, and being overgrown with wood and bushes, is designated `Castlerough’.  The ancient town, together with the palace of the Kentish Kings, was burnt by Earl Godwin, who being at variance with Edward the Confessor, came here with a large force in the year 1052, and destroyed this town, then of good condition, who also ordered the castle at Kemsley to be destroyed.  In the western part of this parish are considerable tracts of coppice wood, which are adjoining to a much larger quantity, extending to the south for nearly five miles.  These woods especially those in and near this parish, are noted for the great number of chesnut trees interspersed throughout them, which from their quick and straight growth makes them very valuable, and they are usually called the Chesnut woods, and it is supposed that they are the indeginous growth of Britain.

The MANOR of MILTON, with the hundred annexed to it, continued part of the Royal demesnes for several centuries after the conquest, of James I. by patent in the 8th year of his reign granted this manor with the hundred of Milton, to Philip Herbert, Earl of Montgomery, for the term of sixty years and his successor Charles I. in his 10th year granted the fee of it to Sir Edward Browne and Christopher Favell, who soon after sold their interest in it to others who passed it away by sale to Philip Earl of Pembroke and Montgomery, who had the possession of it in 1747, this manor by the death of Philip Herbert, Esq., without issue came to his two sisters, when Lord Viscount Wenman in right of Sophia his wife became possessed of a moiety of this manor, he died in 1760, and his widow in 1787, after which her only son the Right Hon. Philip Lord Wenman, became possessed of it in whose family it still continues.  The paramount manor of Milton extends to Sheerness, and as far as Marden near Maidstone.  A court leet and baron are held for this manor.

The other ancient manors and estates are COLSALL, situate in the north-west extremity of the parish.  GROVEHURST, one mile north from the town, was formerly the inheritance of a family of the same name.  NORTHWOOD CHASTENORS, in the western part of the parish, took its name from the large tract of wood grounds adjoining it, and these woods having large quantities of Chesnuts growing throughout them, gained this manor the name of Chastenors.  KEMSLEY DOWN, is situated 1 mile N.E. from Milton, and consists of about 300 acres of grazing land, the property of the Rev. Richard Gascoygne, and in the occupation of Mr. Benjamin Lee.  The ancient manor of OWRE, is situated near the edge of these marshes.  CHALKWELL, is a hamlet on the London road, partly in Borden parish.  MILTON HALL, is a neat residence, the seat and property of John Vinson, Esq.  The Charles, an old man of war ship stationed on Crafts marsh, is used as a coast guard station.

THE MILTON POOR LAW UNION, comprises a district of 18 parishes, embracing an area of 43 square miles, and in 1841 had a population of 11,493 souls; 18 Guardians are elected who meet at Sittingbourne.  The Union House is a spacious and convenient building erected in 1835, for the accommodation of 350 inmates, average number 150.  Chairman of the Guardians: Sir J.M. Tylden, Bart.  Treasurer: Mr. H. Hyder, Clerk and Superintendent Registrar: Mr. John Hinde. 
Auditor: R. Bathurst.  Relieving Officer: Thomas Tarpe. Surgeons: George Ray, John Friend and Wm. Bouland. Chaplain: Rev. John L. Bennett. Registrar and Collector: John Jackson. Master & Matron: William and Lacy Cobbald.  Schoolmaster: G.N. Constable.  The parishes comprised in the Union are Bapchild, Bobbing, Borden, Bredger, Halstow Lower, Hartlip, Iwade, Kingsdown, Milstead, Milton, Murston, Newington, Rainham, Rodmersham, Sittingbourne, Tong, Tunstall, and Upchurch.  Average weekly cost per head of in-door paupers for the quarter ending December 1847, 2s. 4d. of which 2s. 2 ¼ d. was for food and 1 ¾ d. for clothing.

CHARITIES: Thomas Bradbury, by will 1601, gave the yearly profits of 4 acres of land to be distributed to the poor.  This land is called Sawyers Field, and produces £13 per annum, an annuity of £5 is distributed to the poor from the bequest of Fulkes Taylor, in 1616.  Five separate sums of money amounting in the whole to £2. 15s. are collected by the churchwardens, from different proprietors, and added to the bread account.  An annuity of 20s. left by Thomas Kipps, in 1680, is distributed on Christmas Day.  There is now standing in the names of certain trustees £215.16s.10d. Consols, the produce of which amounting to £6.9s.6d are laid out in bread, and given to the poor on twenty seven successive Sundays.  This stock was purchased with the following bequests, vis, £25 left by Catherine Ann Dicks, £87.6s.7d. by Mary Simes, £20 by Mildred Chapman, and £40 by Samuel Creed.  An annuity of £1.2s. left by Thomas Knott, in 1673, is added to the above and given in bread.

Sir W. Stede, in 1649, directed a yearly sum of £10 to be bestowed in putting forth apprentices, poor children of the parishes of Harrietsham, Milton and Tong.  This gift was charged on certain lands, demised for a period of 200 years, at the yearly rent of £10; after the expiration of the said term, all the rents and profits of the said lands, containing, by estimation, 27 acres, were to be applied to the same object, so that the three parishes will become entitled to the rack-rent in 1849.  In a period of 38 years, 31 boys have been apprenticed from Harrietsham, 18 from Milton, and 2 from Tong.  It does not appear right that the parish of Tony should be almost excluded from any participation in this charity, as appears to be the case from the above statement.

William Hopson, by will, 1817, gave £800, Three percent. Reduced, in trust, out of the dividends, to repair and keep in order his tomb, in Milton Church-yard, to pay 21s. yearly for a sermon on Ash Wednesday, in Milton Church, and the residue of the dividends to the master of the Free School, for the instruction of children belonging to poor widows of the freemen of Milton oyster fishery; in default of such, then of children belonging to poor widows of this parish.  This stock was reduced by legacy duty to £730, the dividends of which amount to £21.18s.  Elizabeth Morley, by will, 1714, gave £100, the interest to be given towards the instruction of three poor children to read and write.  There are two buildings in the parish, containing together ten tenements, which are called almshouses, and generally inhabited by poor widows, rent free; they are kept in repair by the parish, but whence they were derived is not known.  The rent of a piece of land, about one acre, let for £5.10s., is carried to the churchwardens’ account;  it does not appear how the churchwardens became entitled to the produce of it.  Thomas Grant, by will, 1819 gave £10 to the Lying-in-Charity of Milton.

POST OFFICE, High Street.  Wm. Cooper, Postmaster. Letters arrive from London, 4.15am, and 3.15pm., and depart 10.45 am, and 9.45 pm.

Note: There is a two page list of names, occupations and addresses relating to Milton and nearby.  If anyone is interested I will type them up, if you let me know.  Remember this is 1847.

 

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines