News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rag & Bone  (Read 9193 times)

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
Re: Rag & Bone
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2015, 03:23:42 »
Yes, I remember it from the early sixties.  Not sure of the exact location but it was somewhere in between the bottom of Boundary Road and Ordnance Street. We used to take our 'rags' there, and then carry on to another one at the back of the Brook which used to take bits of lead we managed to acquire.

Yes thats it and thinking back now it was next to Arnold's yard where they kept their lorries. Seems a long time ago now when taking rags to be weighed in for a few pennies was common.
To be contented in life you must learn the difference between what you want and what you need
-Peter

Fred the Needle

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2013, 13:40:23 »
Not sure how this fits into this thread, but there was a "totters" yard at the bottom of Wickham Street in Rochester next to the printing works.  I always assumed that the printers rented the yard out to the "totters" as the printers extended behind the yard.

I can't remember seeing any horse and carts there, only a few tipper truck type things being unloaded in the yard and then the gates being shut.

I do however remember a rag and bone man coming round the area fairly regularly in the late 1950's and he wasn't connected with the aforementioned yard.  Never saw anyone give him anything though, but they must have done otherwise he'd not have kept coming round.

Minsterboy

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2013, 08:21:05 »
My first job after leaving school aged 16 in 1962 was as a milk roundsboy during the big freeze of 1962/3. It was a difficult few months and like AlanH I also got left on my own to deliver down one particularly long street once a week, while the guy I was "boy" to had a "cup of tea" with a lady customer, who strangely never had to pay her milk bill.

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2013, 07:34:45 »
I only helped our milkman once and never again. 6 or 7 hours of freezing snowy weather delivering the bottles through Borstal and Priestfield Rd and the alms houses. Slipping and sliding around while he enjoyed numerous cups of tea with the ladies.
Small hunchback chap he was who gave me tuppence ha'penny when we'd finished.
And my Mum nearly give him something as well. :)
Can't recall a Mr Best with a dew drop or without!
AlanH.

Offline prb

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 20:24:40 »
Mr Best use to stable his horse in Delce Mill opposite his shop at the end of Richard Street.
Jordens Daries used a horse and cart
I use to help my brother in law with his milk round in the early fifties big old Albion drivers missing
5 o`clock in the morning, picked up at the bottom of Cecil Road, next stop Common Road.
I cannot remember seeing any horses in the yard only electric floats and Albion lorries.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 36
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 18:32:48 »
Alan H, one more for your memory. Do you recall Mr Best, green grocer and his horse.
Mr Best was known as ' old dew drop' for reasons best left unsaid, :)

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 04:30:22 »
I was born and lived in Baker Street until I was about 8 then we moved to Cookham Wood. Virtually everything got delivered by horse and cart back then in Baker St.
Grooms the baker had a horse and cart, Jimmy Burns the coal merchant did, then they had a truck, green I think. Groceries came from Bacons in Cecil Road, on a bike at one time, then a Morris or Jowett (??) van.
Milk was from Bourne's at Star Hill but I'm not sure what it came on, could have been horse and cart, don't think their little electric floats were about then.
Of course Humbug and Peabug used to do the rounds with their old horse.
All other memories have been obliterated by time..... :)
AlanH.

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 17:25:26 »
http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=8138.msg36882#msg36882
   Ikey Philips with horse at the trough took over from his dad Fred late 50s

Great link and the photo did bring back memories of the rag and bone man with a horse and cart. Also remember the milk man with his horse and cart, the milk man would just get bottles off the cart and when he got so far ahead the horse would just follow and stop in the right place.
To be contented in life you must learn the difference between what you want and what you need
-Peter

petermilly

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 14:45:59 »
I remember Humbug and Peabug in the late 50s too, Borstal way.  :) :)

Offline prb

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 12:47:46 »
Remember them as well.
Dad used a dealer next to the police garage at Acorn Wharf.

Offline shoot999

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 12:11:13 »
I remember Humbug and Peabug from the 50's when I lived in Morden Street. I always thought they were father and son. Although given what my memory is like; I'm probably getting them mixed up with Steptoe and Son!

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 36
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 11:22:58 »
Alan H, I also recall humbug and peabug, they had a stable of sorts in the yard behind the old guard house on Maidstone road Rochester. I was told they were brothers, yes they weren't the epitome of Sartorial elegance, but still they were memorable characters from our younger days, all part of life's rich tapestry, long gone now.
I lived in Union Street, and by your comments I think we may have been around at about the same time.

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 10:02:44 »
I remember Humbug and Peabug as they were called in the 50s who lived at the bottom end of Fort Clarence on Maidstone Road Rochester. Or maybe they kept the old horse there and lived in Rochester Avenue I can't remember.
Filthy, dirty old pair who wandered the streets with their cart shouting "Any old iron" or something like that.
AlanH.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 19:15:29 »
http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=8138.msg36882#msg36882
   Ikey Philips with horse at the trough took over from his dad Fred late 50s

Minsterboy

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 18:46:27 »
It'd be a crack to see the guy's face if you did take out a sack of old bones to him, wonder if he'd take them.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines