News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rag & Bone  (Read 9188 times)

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 98
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
Re: Rag & Bone
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 18:19:30 »
    We still have a scrapman with a tranny pickup that comes round shouting Ragabone. Don`t think he really wants any bones or rags just metals . :)
    Used to take rags to Saits yard at Millen Rd. down Milton. Then on the way home, try and fill the cart with Coalloids from the spills in front of the Railway Station and down Milton Road to the Mill.
   Was a risky business as there was always the chance Milton kids would come after us outsiders from the wrong side of the railway line, when we were in their territory. :)

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 18:01:46 »
We had one in  Peter Street, Dover.  Owned by Mr Castle I think, he had a little lorry rather than a horse and cart. A doctor's surgery now occupies the site.

Offline shoot999

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 16:44:49 »
Yes, I remember it from the early sixties.  Not sure of the exact location but it was somewhere in between the bottom of Boundary Road and Ordnance Street. We used to take our 'rags' there, and then carry on to another one at the back of the Brook which used to take bits of lead we managed to acquire.

Chatham Boy

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 16:15:00 »
I can remember as a child passing an old bone yard on the corner of Lumsden Terrace and Afghan Road on our way into town, walking down Boundary Road from The Chase. Can't help more than that I'm afraid, it was the early eighties and I was very young.

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
Rag & Bone
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 19:02:30 »
Thinking back today, I can remember the rag and bone man with his horse and cart. No problem, but I can also remember taking rags to a yard in Chatham near the bottom of Boundary Rd., if memory serves me right. As children we were often sent with bags of old clothing and I always remember the wool was kept separate and you got more money for it. We lived in Priest Dale and I remember it was not a long walk, so was before Victoria Gardens, so the back of Boundary Rd, area.
To be contented in life you must learn the difference between what you want and what you need
-Peter

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines