News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Men's Hairdressers 1950 - 1963  (Read 16685 times)

merc

Re: Men's Hairdressers 1950 - 1963
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2013, 21:14:20 »
I have decided to 'Lock' this thread as Arthurs original request was for photographs of specific mens hairdressers. Also we usually prefer shops/businesses etc. to have their own individual threads.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 101
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2013, 17:11:38 »
The trendy barbers was Maurice Lewry`s in Albany Road. He had half the shop and the Ladies was the other side. Still a ladies Hairdressers today. Unfortunately Maurice died last year after a long life serving the community both as a Hairdresser and Table Tennis buff.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2013, 14:56:14 »
We`re `off topic`I`m afraid, but just to put the record straight, the church was the United Reformed Church (formerly Congregational) and the bakery was Wicks.

Offline TonyYoung

• Appreciation 11
  • Borden Lab, WARC 1971-1976
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2013, 14:40:02 »
and my father worked in the SeeBoard offices on the corner of Crescent Street and High Street - opposite the offices was a bakery and cake shop and towards the station was the ?Presbyterian? Church (6th Sittingbourne Scouts)
Life's different upside down

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2013, 14:25:21 »
Bryn, you are so right - why I am thinking William Street, maybe that is also my confusion with Burtons

Berry street, Kingdom Hall up on the left as well as a pub on the right?? - (long gone) - towards the station and Ernie Pack.

Delete all my references to Burtons, what was on the corner of Berry Street and High Street across Berry Street from ??Millet's where I bought my first pair of Levi Jeans from??

You`re definitely confusing William Street with Berry Street, Tony. Yes, Milletts was on the corner and, as you say, the Kingdom Hall, the Pub, the Bookies are long gone. In the early sixties I worked at Freegard Press in Crescent Street and their premises extended through to Berry Street so I knew that area quite well, but can`t remember the name of the pub at the moment.

Just remembered the pub - The Castle.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2013, 14:14:04 »
I am sure Bryn Clinch and Tony Young will remember Bert Tidy who had the barbers shop in the front of there house underneath Hulburds ( Wetherspoons) at the bottom end of the High Street Sittingbourne.

Yes, I remember Tidy`s, granderog but never went there for a haircut. Didn`t he move down to East Street into the building that`s now Doves Funeral Service, on the corner of South Avenue. I never heard any bad reports though. There was a barber that I was told to avoid, unless you wanted a traditional short back and sides, and that was `Ginger` in Milton High Street, I never did know his proper name. The two that are fixed in my memory are Hellard Wood in Station Street and Mantles, near the church in Dover Street.

Offline TonyYoung

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2013, 14:02:15 »
Bryn, you are so right - why I am thinking William Street, maybe that is also my confusion with Burtons

Berry street, Kingdom Hall up on the left as well as a pub on the right?? - (long gone) - towards the station and Ernie Pack.

Delete all my references to Burtons, what was on the corner of Berry Street and High Street across Berry Street from ??Millet's where I bought my first pair of Levi Jeans from??

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2013, 13:53:45 »
Getting back to men's hairdressers, anyone remember Ernie Pack in William Street, Sittingbourne - down the steps and almost under the clothing shop on the corner with the High Street - on the left towards the station. Started going to him in the fifties as a kid - he had a high chair for the youngsters, and I and my dad continued with him until 1965 when we left the High Street - went through school with his son Mick. I don't think it was long after that the redevelopment of that section got started.

I don`t think Ernie Pack was in William Street. The only hairdressers that I can remember there were `Evelyn` (ladies) and Vernon Mantle. I think Ernie Pack was in Berry Street.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 101
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2013, 09:53:52 »
 I am sure Bryn Clinch and Tony Young will remember Bert Tidy who had the barbers shop in the front of there house underneath Hulburds ( Wetherspoons) at the bottom end of the High Street Sittingbourne.
( I think if they had a hair cut there once, they wouldn`t have returned.)  The shop had a long entrance alcove from the pavement, their shop door was on the left and another shop had the right door. Bert who had taken over from his father served in the East Kent Mounted Rifles and then the West Kent Infantry with my father during WW 1. I had the standard no choice back and sides there until I was old enough to join the RAF and had an even more severe haircut. :)

Offline TonyYoung

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2013, 06:47:43 »
Getting back to men's hairdressers, anyone remember Ernie Pack in William Street, Sittingbourne - down the steps and almost under the clothing shop on the corner with the High Street - on the left towards the station. Started going to him in the fifties as a kid - he had a high chair for the youngsters, and I and my dad continued with him until 1965 when we left the High Street - went through school with his son Mick. I don't think it was long after that the redevelopment of that section got started.

Offline Troyboy

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2013, 21:21:27 »
Thank you Smiler and you also Signals99. The time scale was correct. Queenies Café spot on.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2013, 16:07:52 »
Queenies Cafe in Kings Street, after a short period at Century Supply`s in Victoria Street, my sister worked in there for a while, she was a very well endowed young lady, the owner encouraged her to wear 'Diana Dors' type roll neck sweaters, it was good for trade, so he said?.
As her younger brother, I had many a free/cheep meal there, we lived in Union Street at the time. :)

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2013, 08:24:16 »
Smiler, Yes indeed Mr Wooley's bike was similar in shape and layout, but minus the 'body work`.
I think he said it was ex military. It could be folded up. The word 'paratrooper ' comes to mind!
To confirm that the Corgi bike was designed for military use, but the 'folding' was only the handlebars folding flat, so that it could be dropped by parachute.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2013, 07:01:17 »
Does anyone remember the Cafe, in King Street near Sharmans?  Used to go there to collect the Pease pudding and faggots in a bowl on Fridays for tea.

Dont know when you mean Troyboy but in the late 50s and the 60s it was Queenies

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2013, 03:06:30 »
Maybe it was the barbers grandson I knew as Mick Wooley and not his son. Whatever, he was definitely a rellie and his hair was always much neater than most of us had.
AlanH.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines