News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Men's Hairdressers 1950 - 1963  (Read 16710 times)

Offline redge

• Appreciation 12
Re: Men's Hairdressers 1950 - 1963
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 21:46:14 »
1974 Kellys. #1 Cazeneuve Street. C & W Woolley Hairdressers,
                     3        "                   J & W Pearce Newsagents.
Bill was relocated there in sixties when the new police station was built
redge

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 13:25:11 »
Not that I remember the barbers, but seem to think the name was Wooley's ?
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 12:18:58 »
Rochester-bred, thank you for sharing that memory, I go back a little bit further than that.
My first recollections of Woolies was prior to the police station being built. It was opposite a group of small shops, can't recall their order, but remember most of their names. Don Williams, butcher, Mr Pye, cobbler, Thorps, newsagent, plus the Miss Dewsbury`s sub post office & ironmongers.  There was also a general grocers shop, again my memory fails me as to the name, at that time the shop next to Woolies was called Russell's. The only other shop on that side was Sharmans a bike /radio repair  place on the corner of Cazeneuve Street and King Street (thanks for the correct spelling of Cazeneuve  street).

PS forgot Squirrels wet fish shop. 

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 11:50:02 »
Anyone remember the little gents hairdresser on Dover's High Street in the 1950s? It was on the same side as the Iceland store (not there then of course) but a bit nearer to the Tower Hamlets turning. I remember the entrance door being on the ground floor level and the shop may have been called 'Dons'. Dad would march me there for a 'short back and sides' whenever my hair showed any signs of longer growth. Happy Days!

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 09:36:35 »
Signals99, I remember Woolie's, not sure how it was spelt, it was the door on the right next to Silvias (I think it was called), the ladies hairdressers, opposite the old Rochester Police Station in Cazeneuve Street. My mum would take my brothers there sometimes and use the ladies next door, my friend Kate now runs the Eden Rooms hairdressers and lots more there.
***I am still the child within***

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 07:21:08 »
Hi! Anyone remember 'Wooli`s' in Casanuw Street, Rochester? A business run by father and son. I recall the son served in the RAF for a while. Young boys had to sit on a piece of wood placed across the arm rests of their normal wooden chair (no elf an safety rubbish then). Old man Wooli was not a patient man, his battle cry of "keep yer thundering ed still" could often be heard as you passed the open shop door. I went to Troy Town school with young Mr. Wooli`s son Roy, a very nice guy.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 09:43:07 »
Apologies if I raised your hopes Arthur. I have been in touch with Ian Mantle, who I know quite well, but he hasn`t any photos. When the Dover Street premises were demolished, the business moved to the Hellard Wood shop in Station Street. Ian remembers you as Arthur W......... or Arthur P... I fairly certain it`s not P... Sorry I can`t be of more help!

Have a look on:

http://www.sittingbourne-museum.co.uk/

http://www.hrgs.co.uk/

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 07:37:35 »
I MAY be able to help with Mantle`s. Perhaps I may be confused, but I thought that the original shop was in Dover Street, near Holy Trinity Church. But following demolition it could have moved to Station Street where there was once a Barbers Shop under the name of W. Hellard Wood (where I had my first haicut). There were two other shops that were run by Mr Mantle`s two sons in recent years, one in William Street and the other in East Street.
Hope to have some more info. shortly.

Offline arthur

• Appreciation 0
Men's Hairdressers 1950 - 1963
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 00:19:19 »
Does anyone have a photo to share of any of the following Men's Hairdressers, (required for biography, and where I worked), namely:
Emile's, 347 High St, Chatham (since demolished) 1961 - 1963.
Mantle's in Station St, Sittingbourne (since demolished) 1957.
EH Harley at the top of Canterbury St, Gillingham (opposite Byron Rd School) 1953 - 1957.
Arthur

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines