News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Folkestone Harbour Tower?  (Read 2767 times)

Offline cmapley

• Appreciation 0
Re: Folkestone Harbour Tower?
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 16:27:05 »
There was a jetty jutting out into the outer harbour for the CEGB on which many of the larger components for Dungeness A were landed and towed by heavy tractors to Dungeness. During the late seventies and early eighties, the jetty came into use again to move large components to Dungeness B or the new cross-channel transformer station at Sellindge. I was a police officer with the British Transport Police based at the harbour so these movements came under our remit at least for the first stage of their journey. normally the components would be landed on a small ro-ro ship normally during the early evening or at night depending on the tide. Sometimes this item could sit by the side of the outward car lane for several days waiting for the weekend when it was normally moved in the early hours of Saturday morning.

If I recall the company providing the haulage was Wynns who used powered tractors at the front and sometimes with a powered rear steering unit at the back of the road train. During the days leading up to the movement bollards and keep left signs etc were cleared around the harbour to facilitate the vehicles extraordinarily large turning circle.

PeterEm

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 17:48:55 »
Many thanks Paolo. I'd wondered about Dungeness as a candidate for duchess but couldn't think of anything there which would have needed installation by sea. I'll pass it on.

Peter

Offline Paolo

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 13:49:04 »
Duchess should read Dungeness.  This item was popularly known as The Thing but was used at Dungeness in connection with the water outlet from the nuclear power station, Dungeness A, being built at that time.  Folkestone Harbour was the nearest site suitable for construction.  The base weights were removed and the whole edifice towed to site.

http://www.sir-robert-mcalpine.com/projects/?id=14207

PeterEm

Folkestone Harbour Tower?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 11:07:45 »
Has anyone any idea what's going on here in 1961? 

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/folkestone-tower-transported-to-duchess/query/Harbour

The clip was posted on a railway forum I belong to but I can't find any other evidence of the tower's presence in Folkestone Harbour or any lead on what it might actually be.  The large tanks and position between high and low water-line suggest it may have been floated there, and the caption implies that the intention was to move it somewhere else. But where, what or who is "Duchess"?

All the best
Peter

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines