News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: St Bartholomew's Hospital, Rochester - Film  (Read 11761 times)

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
Re: St Bartholomew's Hospital, Rochester - Film
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2013, 15:49:13 »
Hard to say if that's the location or not. The brief shot starting 4'.00" shows them turning right and going past a large building that looks to be similar in style to the old Drill Hall that was opposite Victoria Gardens. I think I've identified the other locations but this one has got me stumped.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 166
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 18:31:20 »
It looks like a railway arch that the ambulances are turning under in that first shot of the 'convoy', at 3min 35 sec. If it is Strood the most likely  candidate would be where the Victoria line crosses North Street - just through that arch, going towards Frindsbury, there is now a complex of flats on the left. Are they leaving a depot that was there and turning under that arch, where the two trains are?:
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 15:01:03 »
There is some footage near the beginning showing ambulances driving uphill from a depot of some kind - the next shot shows them entering Rochester. Does anyone have any idea of the location of this depot? As they are shown crossing the bridge it looks like it maybe somewhere in Strood, but I can't place it.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 166
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 10:07:27 »
Maidstone & District took these batches of buses into service during the years shown(M&D Illustrated Fleet History):
KM 2121 - KM 2134 in 1926
KP 1841- KP 1848 in 1929
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 09:08:52 »
Re the dating of this film. I spotted an Ambulance with the registration number of KP 1347. I have a tax disc, dated 1936 with the number KM 2049. Has anyone any ideas about this?

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 06:33:33 »
Apologies for `hijacking` this topic! I became temporarily obsessed with the unique footage of Sittingbourne and the Mill, which was not directly related to the hospital.

I spent a week in St. Barts. in the very early 60s and remember Mr. Tomkin, a surgeon, and also a Polish male nurse who gave me advice on how to deal with kidney stones which involved boiling pearl barley, leaving it to cool then straining off the barley and dinking the remaining liquid. Don`t try it, as it`s like swallowing Castrol or Castor Oil - strange that Castor is nearly an anagram of Castrol.
The wards in the film appear not to have changed and looked much the same in the 60s.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 21:34:14 »
There's a shot list here:

http://www.brighton.ac.uk/screenarchive/medway/stbartsinfo.html

but it's not exhaustive and there are some errors. I don't think the reference to Luton road is correct, and the bit about the steamrollers is wrong, as this is clearly outside Aveling and Porters in Strood. The film was released early in 1931, and couldn't have been completed before December 1930 as a cheque shown at the end is dated 1st December 1930. Although tram tracks are visible everywhere, unfortunately no trams are shown as this was just after the service was withdrawn.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 20:45:22 »
Thanks, smiffy I thought it was. I thought of taking some screen shots of the Newington and Sittingbourne footage, which I think are unique, but didn`t know whether it`s legal.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 20:37:00 »
Definitely Rainham High Street, but I think it's looking in the other direction. I've got some screen grabs I was going to post but I'm not sure if this wouldn't be better in a separate thread as many don't relate directly to St.Bartholomews.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 20:28:59 »
Does anyone know the location at 22 mins 40 secs? Could it be Rainham High Street, looking toward Newington?

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 14:56:13 »
This is a stunning film.

A tour of St. Bartholomew's Hospital, a voluntary hospital in Rochester. This professionally made film with intertitles informs the viewer of the costs involved in the delivery of modern and efficient health care. It was made to serve as a fundraising tool.

https://community.brighton.ac.uk/medway/pg/groups/32/

With help from another Forum member, Aveling, I believe the following link shows the loco `Excelsior` as seen at 24 minutes 17 secs. of the film at Lloyds Paper Mill, Sittingbourne, 1929/30. Transferred from the Paper Mill in 1970 to Whipsnade Zoo and can be seen on Whipsnade`s websites - open to correction, of course.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaytilston/sets/72157602171804783/detail/

http://www.narrow-gauge.co.uk/gallery/99

Offline BygoneMedway

• Appreciation 24
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 20:32:21 »
Welcome.  :)  I thought about giving it its own thread but as it was filmed for St Barts I put it here. I also have watched it a couple of times.
I loved the view of the ambulance's coming over Rochester bridge straight into Rochester High Street.

I'm glad you all like it. I must admit I watched it the first time with my mouth wide open  :)

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 20:09:17 »
That fim is little gem! I`ve just had another look and found both Newington (I think) and definitely Sittingbourne High Streets.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 19:29:15 »
Thanks for the link, Bygonemedway - a brilliant film with some fascinating exterior shots. Some locations are obvious, but there are others I'm still puzzling over. I'm sure there will be a lot of people studying this further (me included).

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 77
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 18:40:00 »
What a gem, thanks BygoneMedway  :)

Two of my sons as babies, spent time in the childrens ward there, looks as though the cots in the film were still being used between 1965 and 1969 (built to last !). The Doctors and nurses were wonderful, especially the last time we had a child there, our baby son was baptised as they didn't think he would pull through, he did with dedication of those Doctors and Nurses.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines