News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Port Victoria  (Read 3223 times)

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
Re: Port Victoria
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 14:20:49 »
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 36
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 22:46:41 »
man-of- kent, can't help you on that one, but after Gillingham closed I went to Torrington in Devon.
The line from Barnstable to Torrington ran close to the sea at Instow and Bideford, it was also known as the crab and winkle by Barnstable crews.
SentinelS4, I bow to your well known expertise in these things. As stated I never did the Allhallows turn so the technicalities of pull and push are not within my ken. :)

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 22:22:03 »
That's what I though Man-Of-Kent. Regulator, whistle and brakes were air controlled from the coach. The bell was as a way of communicating with the Fireman. In my Dads time at Gillingham it was often a H class turn, again fitted for push-pull. However the building of the refinery gave the passenger service a short stay of execution but by the late 1960's it was all finished. Open to correction as ever.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline man-of-kent

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 22:14:55 »
Surely the "Crab and Winkle" line is the Canterbury and Whitstable?
Derek Brice

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 36
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 22:04:47 »
Nobby007, thanks for the memory, viewing the video in your blog, took me back a bit.
I was a fireman at Gillingham loco in the late fifties/early sixties, nice to see the old Allhallows flyer.
Again, she was a pull and push job, the memory dims, but I think the drivers name was Draper.       
I recall only passed firemen were booked on that job, can't recall if it was a mechanical link to the regulator or done by bells?
It worked out of Gravesend to Allhallows (some times a bit of shunting at Sharnel street, admiralty sidings) it was known as the 'crab & winkle line, to most crews.   
Ps any ex foot plate men from Gillingham out there?
'

Offline Stewie

• Appreciation 16
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 18:26:39 »
Thank you for that Nobby007, an insight into a forgotten world, such a line could not exist in today's world, it shows how under used some of these branch lines were (apart from the 'Last Train' at closure).
I read a history of the Ventnor West branch in the Isle of Wight where the driver of the push pull train commenting on the low passenger numbers described the service a a 'Waste of good coal!`

Interesting video though and also a study in behaviours of the day. The guy sweeping the platform for a lonely branch line terminus that no one used!

:)

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 17:34:51 »
Nice film. Thanks for posting. Even nicer to see a LCDR R1 on push-pull duties.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Nobby007

Port Victoria
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 10:28:48 »

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines