News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Twinney Finds.  (Read 4123 times)

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 101
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
Re: Twinney Finds.
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 21:37:19 »
Grandarog    -

With respect, those look more like light flat-bottom rails than bridge rail to me  Cheers

Helcion

You are probably quite right Helcion. We  used "Bridgerail" as a generic term for the rails on the overhead cranes and gantrys at work. They were all sorts of different profiles. I thought S4 would have jumped in on this post . :)

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 101
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 21:33:12 »
I'm not sure if we are thinking of quite the same location, but there was a WW2 AA battery at Wetham Green, just north of Upchurch
Grandarog, I did hear somtime ago that there are some sort of remains near to where you were of a WW2 battery, I was going to have a look yeares ago but was told there wasn't anything left to see, so I didn't bother, are there any WW2 remains?
colin haggart  :) See my other posts ref Gunsite at Wetham Green. :)

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=15917.msg132573#msg132573
http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=410.msg118137#msg118137

Offline helcion

• Appreciation 29
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 22:46:37 »
Grandarog    -

With respect, those look more like light flat-bottom rails than bridge rail to me. Bridge rails were 'hat' section and the bearing surface was 'hollow'. The bearing surface of 'your' rails look to be a solid bulb.

For a much better description see   -   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_profile

Cheers

Helcion

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 22:30:30 »
I'm not sure if we are thinking of quite the same location, but there was a WW2 AA battery at Wetham Green, just north of Upchurch
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 22:00:46 »
Grandarog, I did hear somtime ago that there are some sort of remains near to where you were, of a WW2 battery, I was going to have a look years ago but was told there wasn't anything left to see, so I didn't bother. Are there any WW2 remains?

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 101
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
Twinney Finds.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 13:14:27 »
Here at Upchurch an old orchard and hedgerow at Twinney Acre along side the path to Twinney Wharf has recently started to be grubbed out. Being inquisitive as usual and hoping to find the odd gold watch or sovereign or two I spent half an hour poking around  the area while the dog had a good play around. Before S4 gets too excited, the bits of old brickfield tramway rails unearthed appear to be from somewhere else. Probable used across a gate way to keep live stock in. I could find no evidence of fixing spikes or sleepers etc. There could well have been a tramway to the Wharf from the Poot Lane Brickfield but not at this spot.  Bridge rails were used for lots of things after the brickfields closed. When my son in law and I dug out the old concrete base of the double outside loo at the top of the garden behind their cottage in the street here, there were 4 of them under the concrete as lintels. The bit of Victorian cornice probably the result of fly tip among other building rubbish. No signs of any other artefacts earlier than WW2 in evidence other than the rails. Sheppey Bottles, your`e welcome to the post war Norwood Farms Dairy milk bottle if you want. The old Sunny Spread pot brought back memories.  :).

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines