News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Century Supplies in Rochester.  (Read 6145 times)

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
Re: Century Supplies in Rochester.
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 12:54:17 »
Just to confirm for Signals. There were 2 fish shops in John St. Browns which was mainly a wet fish shop, only frying 3 days a week bottom of Forde St opposite Man of Kent and known as the bottom shop and Christophers which was the other end known as the top shop and later moved to Delce Rd.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 39
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 16:42:57 »
Oh dear! So sorry, I've done it again, off topic, wrong pub, wrong place. Thanks smiler for sorting me out!
No, I won't open a new topic, best close it for the time being. Until such times as I get myself sorted I will restrict my blogging to that what I know and understand (doesn`t leave me a lot of scope) :)
Once again my apologies to all you good people. SMILER, thank you for letting me down gently.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 14:47:20 »
Signals, before we are told to get back on topic, you ask about two chip shops in John St, then talk about one opposite the Rising Sun which is the top of King St. Is this a third chip shop or are you mixing the pubs up? I see an old mate every Friday who was born in John St., 30's, will ask him what he remembers. Meantime is it worth you opening a new topic on this subject?

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 39
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 09:28:25 »
Thank you PrB. Had that in mind, but was not sure. So can anyone help? I know the shop at the fire station end of John St. was Browns, run by two elderly sisters. During its later time it had coal fired fryers, name of Brown (obviously ). The one I am looking for was opposite the Rising Sun.

Offline prb

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 21:42:06 »
Christophers were on Delce Road between Castle Road and Rochester Avenue.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 39
Le-core brothers
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 21:14:32 »
Model shop on Rochester Banks. Le-core brothers, I have seen mention of this shop before on KHF. Prior to trading under the name Le-core, did it go by the name of Drakes? I'm going back to the late40s/early 50s. At that time it was next to a motorcycle sale/junk shop one side and a sweet shop on the other.
Also, can anyone confirm there were two chip shops in John Street, Rochester, Christopher's & Browns.
I have been told there never was chip shops at any time in John Street. I don't think my memory is that bad! Can anybody help? Thank you. :)

Jim Bell

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 15:44:40 »
 :) A can remember a Val, but she didn't work in the offices, so it's probably not the same girl.
Quite a high turn-over of staff at the time.
Just wondered if anyone I remembered was still out there.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 39
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 14:00:20 »
Hi Jim Bell, one of my sisters, Valeri Gale, worked there about that era, she worked in accounts.
Lived in Union Street, would have been in her early teens, don't think she stayed long, too many young lads trying to get something on account   :)

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 14:58:32 »
Used it years ago when in pub trade, very handy if not needing a lot, they sold so much there so very good for buying presents with trade discount. Think it was knocked down now for new buildings but the wall around has to remain.

Jim Bell

Century Supplies in Rochester.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 18:49:05 »
My first job after leaving school in 1965 was at Century Supplies in Victoria Street, Rochester.
I worked in the tobacco dept. They were a wholesalers, supplying stock to shops.
As my first job, it's always held a special place in my memory.
Are there any other ex-employees out there still ?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines