News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Eynsford Castle  (Read 3172 times)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Re: Eynsford Castle
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 21:58:08 »
I finally got round to visiting this one :)  Lots of roman tiles to be found, especially in the fireplace and in doorways.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 07:28:01 »
Thankyou for the interesting photos cliveh!I can recall the station and a viaduct in the area and that's it.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 23:25:58 »
I visited Eynsford and totally missed the castle!  It is tucked away and not well signposted.  I need a return trip!

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 21:08:25 »
It's not well known busyglen and you'd never know it was there unless you were looking for it. It's tucked away behind Eynsford High Street.

cliveh

Offline busyglen

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 69
    • Westminster Village
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 18:31:06 »
Thanks for this cliveh.  The photos are interesting, and I must confess that I have never heard of this castle!  Something definitely lacking in my history here!
A smile is a curve that straightens things out.

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
Eynsford Castle
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 18:13:50 »
Some info from English Heritage:

There was an earlier building on the site, but little is known about this structure, except that it was the focal point of a Saxon settlement. The impressive curtain wall was built between 1085 and 1087, probably by William de Eynsford I, a knight and sheriff of Kent. The defences were further strengthened in the late 11th or early 12th century and a hall and associated buildings were erected inside the castle walls. In 1261 Eynsford castle and estate were divided between the Kirkeby and Criol families, causing much dispute. The conflict reached a climax in 1312 when Nicholas de Criol and his supporters broke in and vandalised Eynsford Castle as a protest against Judge William Inge who had bought the castle from the Kirkeby family. After the vandalism the castle was abandoned. Eventually the castle passed into the ownership of the Hart Dyke family of nearby Lullingstone Castle and by the mid-18th century Eynsford Castle was used for stabling and the kennelling of hunting hounds.

Some photos from a visit this week:

cliveh

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines