News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Stone of Scone  (Read 4100 times)

Sirenetta

Re: Stone of Scone
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 20:20:46 »
The old A2, like the A2(M) skirted Higham.  It would be Cobham Woods, somewhere near the Golf Course, I suspect.

Offline John E Vigar

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 07:29:01 »
Thanks.... Do you think that means the old A2? If so somewhere around Higham? Surely this must have been in the local papers at the time of their trial?

Offline ann

• Appreciation 50
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 17:16:06 »
Where do you find these gems?  Amazing.

merc

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 20:29:22 »
"The first thing was to hide the Stone. This was not easy. [...] Our journeyings took us as far west as Malborough [sic] and as far south as Rochester. First we left the Stone wide open in a field, sure that we would be arrested that morning, and certain that we could pass word to someone else to finish what we had started. Would not the police be stopping every Ford Anglia? Remember, in those days the roads were empty. [...] But as the day went on and no police car stopped us, we [...] returned, retrieved the Stone from its open hiding place and hid it in a wood beside the main road north from Rochester in Kent. It was not until we were well on our way home that we were stopped by a grumpy police patrol [...]. We bluffed our way through."

Sirenetta

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 18:20:10 »
Just guesswork, but an embankment suggests a railway line.  Couldn't be the North Kent line as that is tunnelled at that distance.  Must be on the Meopham side of Rochester or the reference would be to Chatham.  So I guess the Victoria Line between Strood and Cobham at a point where the line is not in a cutting.  OR, an embankment at the side of the A2(M), again between Strood and Cobham.  Both are wooded.

Sherlock.

merc

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 17:59:05 »
I've just been reading about the stone and the theft John E Vigar, very interesting. I can't really be of any more help I'm afraid, sorry. Some reports I've read say a grassy bank, some just say a field in Kent, and some say the stone was left with gypsies.

Offline John E Vigar

• Appreciation 7
Stone of Scone
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 16:47:08 »
The Daily Telegraph obituary of Kay Matheson, one of the students who stole the Stone of Scone from Westminster Abbey in 1950, says that having been stolen it was temporarily `buried in a woodland embankment about two miles from Rochester`. Has anybody got any more precise information or perhaps some local press reports from the time?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines