News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Work Days  (Read 6502 times)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
Re: Work Days
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 19:54:09 »
For those of you who give up your time and energy I would like to say thank you, we have achieved some fantastic results during our work days.

But also, can I remind you that the places we help are private.  One being someone's home!  We need to respect this and keep to the open parts of the forts that we know we are allowed to be.  If an area is fenced off we do not enter it unless told that we can, or rooms full of items.  Personal property is kept within various areas of the forts and we should not be anywhere near them unless agreed with the owners.

For those of you that chose to go to the forts in your own time please keep check of the time.  Don't outstay your welcome!  It would be a good idea to check with the owners what time they would like you to leave their premises, especially at Fort Borstal as it is a home.

The owners are very grateful for your help, as am I.  Lets keep the relationships on a good note ;)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 425
    • Sheppey History
Work Days
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 15:54:40 »
KHF are currently helping two Medway forts with clearance work allowing new areas to come into use.  By doing this we help the Forts develop further which in turn helps to fund further restoration.  We also have another Fort who would be happy for us to help, details to be agreed upon and willing volunteers to be contacted when dates are set.

We still have the possibility of clearing and making safe Garrison Point Fort in Sheerness, although we have hit a massive stumbling block.  As soon as decisions are made regarding the future use of this Fort I will let everyone know.  It could take a very long time though!

Due to the places we are helping and the rare chance of visiting them any other way I would like all new helpers to volunteer on a Fort Horsted work day before venturing into the others.  The relationship KHF has with the other forts are still fragile and new and I need to know those helping can be trusted to abide by the rules and will not put themselves or others in danger.

If anyone would like to join us please contact me, all help is appreciated and it gives you a chance to visit places not normally open to visitors.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines