News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Great Bargain Stores  (Read 2249 times)

Minsterboy

Re: Great Bargain Stores
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 17:29:11 »
I thought that it would be you that replied if anybody BusyGlen.
Be nice to go back a bit further than what we recall.

busyglen

Re: Great Bargain Stores
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 16:32:56 »
I remember the GBS Minsterboy.  Most of the cans etc. were stacked in boxes and I `believe' that we used empty boxes to carry things out.  I don't remember paper carrier bags, although my memory isn't as clear as it used to be! My husband said that he remembers a butchers in Russell St. and also the cafe.  I can't for the life of me think what was before the GBS though.  I'll have to ask my sister, as she has a good memory, even at 83!  :)

Minsterboy

Great Bargain Stores
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 06:55:22 »
One of the first jobs, albeit briefly, that I had when I first left school in the summer of 1962, was in the Great Bargain Stores in Sheerness. It was a big old building on the corner of Russell Street that was later demolished to become the first Tesco store.
It was an old building with at least three floors and, as I recall, the third floor remained pretty much empty and derelict, a friend and I used to go up there for our meal breaks. I never actually served in the shop, my job was to work in the back, receiving and stacking stores and to be one of the first in in the morning to check all the produce that was laid out on display, such as the wrapped cheese, for signs of mouse damage or mould and if necessary cut off any damage and re-wrap it - imagine that today!
To the side, in Russell Street, was a pretty drab cafe which, during the mid-60's, a crowd of us long-haired folk music types and rockers, knew as Denn's Cafe and which we more or less took over as our meeting place and unofficial club, little money could of been made by Denn the owner. 

Does anybody else recall the Great Bargain Stores and what the building's history was.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines