News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lenham Hospital  (Read 7363 times)

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 22
Re: Lenham Hospital
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 09:43:55 »
My father spent months here due to the lung problems which caused his death at the age of 52. I well remember visiting him every week or so and him and many other patients used to trundle outside onto the veranda in their wheel chairs with oxygen bottles attached......puff of oxygen and a drag of the fags....."to clear their lungs" according to them!
Lovely surroundings but an awful place.
AlanH.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 155
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 18:29:52 »
It was half way up the scarp face of the Downs about a mile outside of Lenham on the Ashford side. I believe that one of my Aunts, sadly no longer with us, spent some time there in the mid-late 1940's. She worked in a munitions factory near Faversham and picked up a lung disorder that stayed with her for the rest of her life.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 25
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 18:23:45 »
Perhaps a little more information.

As Kent County Sanatorium it opened in 1914. The location was chosen because of the clean air and wonderful view both of which were deemed to assist those suffering from TB. During WW1 it became a Military Hospital as your post notes. It subsequently became known as Lenham Sanatorium, and then  Lenham Chest Hospital finally closing C1985/6. At various times it served as a TB & Chest Hospital, Isolation Hospital and latterly cared for Psychiatric patients.

It is now a housing development and little survives of the original buildings.

I hope this helps.

Rosie

Lenham Hospital
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 15:07:20 »
Can anyone help with more information? This picture is of soldiers from WW1. My great uncle is in the picture and was gassed at Picardy. I know it was a nursing hospital but can find little on the internet, have other photos similar and nursing staff.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines