News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Parade.  (Read 4282 times)

Offline BygoneMedway

• Appreciation 24
Re: The Parade.
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 14:21:27 »
I always got on well with the owner of the off licence. He rented a few videos as a side line but when the General Store closed and re-opened as a video shop, plus the Co-op obtaining a licence to sell alcohol, he struggled.
He told me one day he had no choice but to sell up. My sister told me she saw him a few months ago. I hope he is well, he must be in his 70s now.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 14:10:51 »
I could never understand how these shops stood empty for so long without one or more opening up as a fish and chip shop, Chinese or Indian take away. I heard it was because a petition was got up against it. I for one would not have signed it.

Rochester-bred

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 08:35:36 »
I walked past all these shops every day when going to school and used every one. I still have a working set of Christmas lights I bought in 1976 in Masons, these shops where so handy for all the locals .

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 39
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 05:57:20 »
Thanks for the memory
I lived in the Tideway for twenty three years, at 191 then 118. That photo took me back instantly.
I well recall every one of them, circumstances caused me to leave my beloved Rochester many moons ago, I returned once, just for a day or two, but time flies, nothing stands still.
I thing there are those who disapprove of the forum being  used for nostalgia? Maybe they have a point. All I can say is you made an old man happy for a while, don't want to get maudlin.
So any more pics. of that area? Cooks on the Delce? The shops opposite St justice?
Many thanks BygoneMedway  :)

Offline CHANTALIAN

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 22:29:41 »
When Peter Mason closed his shop on Marley Way he came to Sturry and opened a hardware shop on the High Street. When he retired it became a restaurant!
Shops like this were put out of business by the large super stores. Are we any better off for them closing?
I don't think so.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 77
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 21:00:11 »
I used every single one of those shops  :) and was sorry to see them gradually all close. I still use the Co-op regularly, in fact I worked there when it still closed for lunch, could well have been when this pic was taken   :)

Thanks BygoneMedway, I'd plain forgotten what they all looked like.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline BygoneMedway

• Appreciation 24
The Parade.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 20:26:10 »
This was the parade of shops in Marley Way, Rochester in 1983/4
I remember these well.

Left to right.

The launderette, Fritz the cake shop. The hairdressers. A general store. The greengrocers run by Malcolm. Masons the hardware shop. 

The newsagents once called Palmers. The Co-op. Last but not least. The off-licence.

I remember being shown the shiny new decimal coins when they came out in the Newsagents. Still can remember the smell of paraffin in the Hardware shop. 

All, apart from the Co-op and the one next to it (now a car parts shop) they`re all maisonettes.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines