News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Co-operative Store Dartford  (Read 4506 times)

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
Re: Co-operative Store Dartford
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 20:37:00 »
The Co-op seems to have abandoned many Kent towns except for their smaller (and more expensive, `Late Shops`. I remember the store in Hythe in the days when their slogan was "Your Caring Sharing Co-op". One day I went to Hythe and found they had gone and all the windows had been whitewashed and, from inside somebody, using a finger on the whitened windows had written "No more caring, no more sharing - Gone Away". I remember their Superstore at Westwood, Broadstairs, it must have been one of, or even the first Superstore in Kent and stocked just about everything. Again, they abandoned it, Tesco came along, knocked it down and built a new one.

Offline ann

• Appreciation 50
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 20:09:51 »
Thanks will give it a look.

Offline Apollo

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 19:36:40 »
There's an excellent group on Facebook, 'Dartford Remembered'. Many of the members have posted images of the town, including the Cooperative department store.
The more we learn the less we know.

Offline ann

• Appreciation 50
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 19:30:44 »
Thanks Appollo for the information.  It does indeed look a dreadful eyesore and of course it occupies such a large area.

Does anyone have any photos I wonder of when it was a thriving store.

I lived in Dartford in the 1960's and well remember the store.  I bought my daughters first pram there. It had so many departments, even a cafe on the first floor.  The sort of store you could wander round for ages.  So sad that many of our old stores have closed.

Offline Apollo

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 17:23:33 »
Hi Ann,

The site was, in fact, bought by the Homes and Communities Agency (HCA), a government quango, not the borough council. There were plans to create a temporary hard surface car park, while the HCA decide what to actually do with it. However, owing to the substantial amount of asbestos in the department store, they blew through the budget for demolition and construction for the car park, so the site is going to remain looking like an eyesore surrounded by hoarding for some time.

Rumours abound are that Dartford Borough Council will look to vacate the Civic Centre in the near future, and move into the town centre. Whether this is true or not, I can't say.
The more we learn the less we know.

Offline ann

• Appreciation 50
Co-operative Store Dartford
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 14:10:16 »
Visited Dartford today for first time in ages.  Where the 'derelict' Co-op department store once stood, is now a large pile of rubble.  I believe the site has been bought by Dartord Council. Does anyone have any more information on this?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines