News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: St. Pauls, Milton Regis  (Read 11666 times)

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
Re: St. Pauls, Milton Regis
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2013, 20:01:41 »
Another shot of St. Paul`s in 1930, also the Congregational Chapel (The Paradise Chapel). I`ve pinned both buildings - the two on the left.

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw032072?search=Sittingbourne&ref=0

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 21:23:35 »
Apologies for the confusion! I had completely forgotten about Milton nr Gravesend and, of course the picture in the link is of St. Peter and St. Paul, Milton, Gravesend.

To redeem myself, here is a photo of the interior of St. Paul`s, Milton Regis which was built around 1860 as a Chapel of Ease to the Parish Church of Holy Trinity and demolished in the late 50s I believe. This is the first one I have ever seen and there are many local people who don`t know it ever existed, the ones that do have no idea where it was or confuse it with the Milton Regis Congregational Church, also demolished, which was only approximately 200yds away.

Personally, I am very pleased to have found  this photo as my wife`s parents were married in this church, but all photos of their wedding have disappeared, but now at least she has this photo, courtesy of John Crunden.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 18:55:33 »
The window is different and is the chancel arch.  The supports for the gallery are also different, and the gallery seems wider in the earlier picture.  There does seem to be a few discrepancies.

Offline John E Vigar

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 17:54:04 »
Same image is also on my website www.kentchurches.info

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History

aveling

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 22:30:00 »
Hi Bryn Clinch

This looks like St Peter and St Paul in Milton near Gravesend.

Liz

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 77
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 22:22:39 »
Thanks Grandarog  :) Found it, after your explanation.  I didn't recognise the church though after all that.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 103
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 21:37:35 »
LynL .
        I have the same problem viewing the link website..The way to solve it temporarily so as to view the whole page is :--------.
     At the bottom right of your screen, above the time it says 100% . Click on the dropdown arrow beside it and select 75% you will then see the whole page albeit smaller .You can then select page 10 at the top of the page and carry on.
Dont forget when you have finished reselect 100%.  :)                                                         

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 20:19:49 »
I can't find any matching photographs by searching Sittingbourne Churches, St. Paul's, or descriptions of the gallery and rounded chancel arch.  Either John Vigar or RWTA may be able to help.

Thanks kyn! They were the two experts I was thinking of.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 20:11:37 »
I can't find any matching photographs by searching Sittingbourne Churches, St. Paul's, or descriptions of the gallery and rounded chancel arch.  Either John Vigar or RWTA may be able to help.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 20:01:23 »
I`m fairly certain that it`s not in the Sittingbourne area as I know most of them. It has the appearance of not being an old church, but probably built in the mid to late 1800s. I`m hoping John Vigar may be able to help. If it is St. Paul`s, I`ll look a complete idiot but I`m fairly certain it isn`t.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 19:51:30 »
That's not a church I have visited, but I haven't seen inside any in the Sittingbourne area either really...

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 77
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 19:20:23 »
Got to be my computer then !! Got the whole page up from your new link  :) and as soon as I clicked on Maidstone , got the bottom of the page again. But thanks for trying BC, I'll try again when someone is here to show me what's going on  :) ( More puter savvy in other words )
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 19:07:04 »
Try this, Lyn L click on the Maidstone Museum and follow it through from there.

http://www.kentphotoarchive.com/kpa/desktopindex.php

I`ve just tried and it does work OK

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 18:57:36 »
This is what you should see.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines