News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Former Chapel, Minster, Thanet.  (Read 5890 times)

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
Re: Former Chapel, Minster, Thanet.
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 11:38:32 »
Many thanks, Apollo! I`m very surprised that Minster had two chapels of, basically, the same denomination.

Apollo

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 11:15:34 »
Thanks Colin Haggart! Unfortunately I don't know which is the correct Chapel as there appear to be two, but I will add your photo to the family collection. Thanks again!

The chapel below was Wesleyan, the chapel further down the high street, opposite Singleton Close, was Primitive Methodist.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 17:38:15 »
Thanks Colin Haggart! Unfortunately I don`t know which is the correct Chapel as there appear to be two, but I will add your photo to the family collection. Thanks again!

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=16868.0

Reply #2

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 21
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 16:58:20 »
Bryn Clinch, you are welcome to copy my photos for your family records if you like or I can email you them.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 71
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 10:18:54 »
Thanks for the photos, Colin Haggart! I`ve been meaning to take a shot of the chapel but somehow never got around to doing so. My Dad was born in Laundry Road, Minster in 1913 and baptised in this chapel. My Grandad was the engineer at the Minster Steam Laundry at the time.

Edit. I have just seen that there are two posts regarding former Methodist Chapels (both dated today). I didn`t realise there were two, so I don`t know which one is which as, in those days, there were Primitive, United and Wesleyan Methodists. Grandad was married in the Primitive Methodist Church, Milton Regis so I guess Dad was baptised in the Primitive Church at Minster. Perhaps one of the two photos is of another denomination as I doubt Minster would have been large enough to support two churches of (basically) the same denomination.

Ron Stilwell

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 23:52:51 »
This one, I think, was the Methodist Chapel.  Converted into a couple of flats.

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 21
Former Chapel, Minster, Thanet.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 22:07:58 »
Another former place of worship in Minster, Thanet I came a cross today.

Chapel Place. 1850.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines