News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Dambuster Pilot buried in Kent  (Read 14550 times)

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 57
Re: Dambuster Pilot buried in Kent
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2018, 19:03:07 »
thanks for all the info Grandarog.  I don't appear to have any Goodson family connections.  I'm guessing Georgina was from a 'higher' class.  All my ancestors were lowly agricultural workers who might even have worked for the Goodson family...

JW

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 103
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2018, 17:29:43 »
CWGC Details here :- https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbm%2fcwgc%2frollofhonour%2f001439928

Incidently Billion Graves website have his grave listed incorrectly at Preston ,Faversham.
https://billiongraves.com/grave/David-JH-Maltby/25223236

Find a Grave are correct with Wickhambreaux:-
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/49432125/david-john_hatfeild-maltby

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 103
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2018, 15:13:43 »
David Maltby married Georgina (Nina) Goodson  in 1942.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 57
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 14:03:17 »
Does anyone know the given name and maiden name of David Maltby's wife from Wickhambreaux?  Its only a small hamlet and many of my ancestors came from there.  Just might be a connection.

JW

CharlesF

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 15:20:25 »
Delboy

thanks for apology and quick action. As I said, I don't have a problem with you using the Grace Blackburn pic, providing the copyright info is included. Mrs Blackburn is the sister of Sgt Harold Simmonds, rear gunner in AJ-J, and has given me permission to use the shot. It's the Astrocollection pics I was more concerned about.
If the moderators are OK about this, maybe the best thing is just to give a link to my website where all the pics can be seen
http://www.breakingthedams.com

I also write and post regularly on the Dambusters blog: http://dambustersblog.com

Charles

CharlesF

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 13:28:40 »
I am the nephew of David Maltby, and have visited Wickhambreaux a number of times recently. Local people will be aware that there is a ceremony at his graveside on 14 September every year, organised by the East Kent Aircrew Association and supported by the family, some of whom still live locally.

I am also the author of a book about David and his crew, called Breaking The Dams (pen and Sword, 2008) and the author and webmaster of a companion website http://www.breakingthedams.com

I have to say that I am a little disappointed that a recent poster -- delboy --  has seen fit to take some photos from my website and post them on this forum without attribution. Not only that, on one -- a picture of the crew of Maltby?s aircraft -- he has cropped off the name of the copyright owner! In this case, I am happy to allow the picture to be reproduced if the copyright line is restored and an acknowledgement placed in the text.

The copyright line should read " ? Grace Blackburn, courtesy www.breakingthedams.com "

The others, pictures of the bombsight and accompanying letter, are not my copyright. If you want to reproduce these pictures then you need to contact the copyright owner at http://www.astrocollections.com

I would be grateful if you could rectify this as soon as possible.

Offline delboy

• Appreciation 24
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 13:36:25 »
     RE Post below.  My apologies, these were sent to me as they are via another forum about 18 months ago when I was researching Sdn Ldr Maltby after taking the grave picture for the WGPP. I have deleted them from here as there is a copyright problem that I was not aware of. Once again sorry, delboy

David643

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 22:16:53 »
David Maltby was one of the pilots, from 617 Sqd, who flew a pair of Lancasters over Maidstone in the Summer of 1943 when Guy Gibson visited the town to support the "Wings Week".

The Lancasters' flew on two engines set in reverse - why this was I have yet to discover

Offline Jason

• Appreciation 9
    • Historic Medway
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 22:00:50 »
There's a full description of these bombs at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunkerbuster

Apparently it isn't just the seismic effect that causes the destruction of the target, it's the undermining of the target's foundations.

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
    • National Three Peaks Challenge 2012, raising funds for Help for Heroes
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 21:03:06 »
"Even despite the size of these bombs they still weren't powerful enough to penetrate some of the U-boat pens due to the thickness of the concrete used in their construction (e.g. Hamburg and Bremen). I used to work in Germany and visited a client in Bremen once who's office block was built on top of an old U-boat pen. The effort that would be required to demolish the old U-boat pen was not considered worthwhile and obviously it was considered a strong enough foundation to build on."

Glen,

The idea behind Tallboy, and the later Grand Slam was not to penetrate in that way. Barnes Wallis designed the bombs to deliver a seismic explosion - that is to penetrate the ground to a great depth and deliver a massive seismic shock wave like an earthquake - hence the name 'earthquake bomb'.

The best example of the correct use of the bomb was against the Bielefield Viaduct, when over 100m of the viaduct collapsed into the subterranean crater caused by the Grand Slam/Tallboy combination. The bombs were fitted with delayed action fuses to prevent an explosion before they had penetrated the ground fully.

"It was an extraordinary weapon, an apparent contradiction in terms, since it had at one and the same time the explosive force of a large high-capacity blast bomb and the penetrating power of an armour-piercing bomb. On the ground it was capable of displacing a million cubic feet (29,000 m?) of earth and made a crater which it would have taken 5,000 tons of earth to fill. It was ballistically perfect and in consequence had a very high terminal velocity, variously estimated at 3,600 and 3,700 feet (1,100 m) per second (1,100-1,130 m/s or about 2,500 mph / 4,000 km/h), which was, of course, a good deal faster than sound so that, as with the V-2 rocket, the noise of its fall would be heard after that of the explosion."
W. J. Lawrence
Three Peaks Challenge 2012 - raising funds for Help for Heroes
www.bmycharity.com/Islesy

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 18:04:56 »

Reading about the Maltby memorial at Wickhambreaux, and the transmission of the code word Nigger to indicate the success of the dambusters mission,  wasn't Guy Gibson's dog called Nigger? 
I believe the dog is buried, with small memorial, at RAF Scampton, I seem to remember seeing it some years ago on the airfield.

He was called Nigger and is buried at the base.

Offline ellenkate

• Appreciation 55
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 12:27:15 »

Reading about the Maltby memorial at Wickhambreaux, and the transmission of the code word Nigger to indicate the success of the dambusters mission,  wasn't Guy Gibson's dog called Nigger? 
I believe the dog is buried, with small memorial, at RAF Scampton, I seem to remember seeing it some years ago on the airfield.

--------------------------------------
I'm Lincolnshire born and bred

Offline Glen

• Appreciation 6
    • Kent Today & Yesterday
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 22:51:06 »
This is the 'tallboy' bomb which like the 'upkeep mine' was used by 617 squadron and also 9 squadron.

Incidentally (not knowing the date of the article) the tallboy became active in 1944 and weighed 12,000lb. The later 'grand slam' bomb was 22,000lb and known as the earthquake bomb. ???

Even despite the size of these bombs they still weren't powerful enough to penetrate some of the U-boat pens due to the thickness of the concrete used in their construction (e.g. Hamburg and Bremen). I used to work in Germany and visited a client in Bremen once who's office block was built on top of an old U-boat pen. The effort that would be required to demolish the old U-boat pen was not considered worthwhile and obviously it was considered a strong enough foundation to build on.

Glen

Philio81

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 12:17:48 »
Heres some interesting film of a grand slam doing what it does best
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=R-Mm-zFW_nA

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 00:09:41 »
This is the 'tallboy' bomb which like the 'upkeep mine' was used by 617 squadron and also 9 squadron.

Incidentally (not knowing the date of the article) the tallboy became active in 1944 and weighed 12,000lb. The later 'grand slam' bomb was 22,000lb and known as the earthquake bomb. ???

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines