News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Haberdashers Victoria Street, Rochester  (Read 20404 times)

KeithJG

Re: Haberdashers Victoria Street, Rochester
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2015, 18:11:29 »
KeithJG, thanks for the photos of Victoria Street, brings back lots of memories, I lived in Union Street, so I grew up in that area.
I well recall the scooter boys you mention, as a very good pal of mine, Richard Hallet (known to all as Dick), was a paper boy there. I used to hang about in the print room and help out stacking and sorting the reams ready to print the clasisified results. Do you recall the small cake shop next door? Buckets rings a bell but I may well be wrong, the poor women who worked there had to come up from the basement to serve in the shop, she got really miffed if you only wanted one cake..Another memory, the smell of two stroke oil as the boys left the small parking place.

Thanks for the replies. I can hear that printing machine now and Ron counting them off and slamming them on the large wooden counter. We had to be quick and put them in our dirty brown hessian paper bag and get out quick down the road.

I had the route through the High St. and over the bridge into Strood and finished half way up North St. on the left, that was my last drop-off.

I used to remember all the Newspaper shop names but now i forgotten all of them...Lol

Yes, I do remember that cake shop also, very small place, also the ironmongers opposite as I was an apprentice Joiner and that shop had everything and more.

The high wooden counters and behind were walls of draws with all the small items in. The shop owner knew exactly what he had and where it was!

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2015, 22:21:50 »
KeithJG, thanks for the photos of Victoria Street, brings back lots of memories, I lived in Union Street, so I grew up in that area.
I well recall the scooter boys you mention, as a very good pal of mine, Richard Hallet (known to all as Dick), was a paper boy there. I used to hang about in the print room and help out stacking and sorting the reams ready to print the clasisified results. Do you recall the small cake shop next door? Buckets rings a bell but I may well be wrong, the poor women who worked there had to come up from the basement to serve in the shop, she got really miffed if you only wanted one cake..Another memory, the smell of two stroke oil as the boys left the small parking place.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2015, 17:44:45 »
Love the scooter pics thanks, brings back an awful lot of memories  :)
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

KeithJG

« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2015, 17:20:56 »
Troyboy, I think that you may well be correct about the money carriers in Wares shop. Somewhere I have got a pencil which is triangular in section which was printed with Wares address and telephone number, and was given to customers in the 1950's. The newspaper office with the printing machine was either Evening News or Star - manager was Ron Green. I did evening paper round from there 1957-1959, when I left Warren Wood.Our paths may well have crossed as we are both about the same age.

I used to deliver the Evening News at Result Time 5pm on a Saturday along with a few other scooterists.

They had their own scooter a white and blue 150cc Lambretta with a large yellow box on the passenger seat where all the papers went for delivery.

I can`t remember Ron Green as the manager as I was a friend of Ron Green who was one of his sons, it may have been his Father`s name also?

Ron Green owned a blue mini 7 and a few of us used to go out every Saturday evening. I think he had an elder son who was on the traffic Police with a car, you would always here him going through Rochester and Strood with the siren going because of the traffic but he was only going home for dinner in Strood....Lol

This was 1965 and the printing place was the Victoria Hall, the first place into Victoria Street on the left. The entrance down a slope to the rear of the hall. A picture of my black GT200 by the hoardings which surrounded this part of Star Hill.......the other picture is mine also of my friends scooters. The light is where the papers were printed with the results, the red arrow points to the approx. position in Victoria Street.

Sidney Gee....was a doctor`s surgery but also he used to distribute weight losing pills as I accompanied a few work women there in about 1977. The pills were pig fat and he went to court about it all and I believe he was struck off, it was all on the BBC news at the time.

All hell used to let loose at 5pm, it was like the start of a race just to get the papers out quick for the Saturday Football results.

Happy Times.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2015, 19:00:27 »
Hi guys and gals. Ref  "Shack", he was a local man born and bred in the city of Rochester. He only ever had one coat, a fawn Macintosh that he used summer and winter for as long as I knew him.
His personal hygiene left a lot to be desired. He once got removed from Andy's snacks for some reason or other, Andy made the mistake of touching him, the rest was history.
Think he had relatives in the High Street area, but alas he is no longer with us. Sells the War Cry now.
Third cloud on the left.😰

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2015, 09:19:13 »
I remember Shack well and a few other newspaper sellers but like most people never understood a word they shouted  :)

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2015, 12:40:05 »
Signals99, I knew "Shack" really well, he also sold papers where the old Barclays bank is now, he was a friend of my parents and as we lived In Bardell Terrace we used to see him every day.
***I am still the child within***

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2015, 11:42:15 »
Troy boy, the paper that used that press to print the classified results was the Star, I remember this as when you went down the steps behind the Majestic/Gaumont, on the right hand side was a lintel over the back stage door which had a chalk written message "STAR BOYS FOREVER". It was written by a Rochester man known as "Shack", he sold the Star for many years, mainly in the station forcourt at that time there was a very ornate passenger shelter there, I think it was removed when they demolished the war time emergency water tank that stood along side it.

Offline Mike S

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2015, 20:33:47 »
Troyboy, I think that you may well be correct about the money carriers in Wares shop. Somewhere I have got a pencil which is triangular in section which was printed with Wares address and telephone number, and was given to customers in the 1950's. The newspaper office with the printing machine was either Evening News or Star - manager was Ron Green. I did evening paper round from there 1957-1959, when I left Warren Wood.Our paths may well have crossed as we are both about the same age.

Offline Troyboy

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2015, 20:19:36 »
Am I correct in remembering that Wares had the carriers ( in two halves that screwed together) on wires near the ceiling, when the staff pulled a cord it pinged them from the counters to the cashiers office in the corner.
As Signals99 mentioned in reply 28, about the printing press, I used to take the Evening Standard there before delivering them on the evening paper round. Also in the hall the Red Cross used have First Aid courses.

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2015, 09:22:44 »
There was a bus stop right outside of Wares and right opposite the pub for the 145 and 146 route. We could look at the pub and possibly see RBs dad (and probably mine  :) ) coming out/going in or look at Wares wares....
AlanH.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2013, 16:25:02 »
I'm now going to wait for a phone call from Kelly herself, so may be able to get the pic and maybe more information ? I'll be back ( hopefully )  :)
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2013, 16:11:14 »
A picture of the shop would revive some memories :)
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2013, 15:50:50 »
Well... just a little more to add. Margaret Percy bought the business from Mr and Mrs Ware (not sure of the date though). She did have the factory across the road making baby clothes, then branched out with the shop. Also had a Hairdressers but whether this was the business next door to Wares, I'm not sure.  My friend is now going to speak to the daughter, Kelly, and get proper dates if she can, but thinks the shop closed in the 1990s. Ron Percy died about 1980 (I remember visiting him and Kelly in the house in City Way). Margaret died in April 2004. She was in a home in Maidstone for a number of years suffering from Dementia.

Kelly apparently has a wonderful picture hanging on a wall at her home, of the shop. I'll see if I can get a copy  :)

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2013, 15:01:27 »
The snake belts were made in all school colours I went to Glencoe Rd where the colours were red & green. (Bought from Paines Chatham High St)

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines