News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Lanes Toy Shop, Rochester  (Read 13582 times)

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
Re: Lanes Toy Shop, Rochester
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 14:17:47 »
Around 1950, I was told that the owner`s name was Comber (not Coomber) and also the name was derived from the French "LeCombre" but I have never had that confirmed. Perhaps now I have mentioned the name, it may ring a few bells. I knew a Mr. Comber from about 1949 - 52 and was told that it was his wife that `ran` the shop.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 13:00:08 »
Peterchall,
I can confirm your memories of Lanes toy shop, the brand of balsa cement they sold was O-my.
I cut my modelling teeth on  "Keil Kraft" aeroplane kits from Lanes, it started me on a life long interest in modelling.
It comes to mind it was called Lanes because it had been a toy shop of that name in Dickensian times?
The owners being proud of the connection, least ways that was what I was told by the then curator of the Eastgate Museum, I think his name was Boulton.
Ref the name, I went to St Margaret's school 46/47with a boy surname of Ellis who claimed to be related to the then owner of Lanes. It's a long shot I know but it may jog a memory or two.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 11:05:49 »
I remember the shop and the name Lanes, but whether it was always Lanes I don't know, so not much help in that respect I'm afraid.

My memory, subject to 70 years erosion, is of them stocking the last Dinky Toys before they went out of production due to the war. With the shortage of toys I think they managed to keep going by selling model making materials. Perhaps surprisingly, balsa wood and 'balsa-wood cement' was always available, as were model aircraft drawings and kits. I remember buying sheets of balsa wood, about 2 feet by 6 inches and of various thicknesses up to about 1/8 inch - stuck together in layers they made the hulls and superstructure of ships, 2 or 3 inches long, with square balsa strips for funnels. I had the notion of selling my models at school, but so did several other boys, which is why I never became a Richard Branson.

However, a mate and I did make a dock system on a sheet of plywood 2 or 3 feet square, using said balsa sheets fot wharves and buildings.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
Lanes Toy Shop, Rochester
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 10:15:17 »
Does anyone remember Lanes Toy Shop, which I believe was approximately opposite Rochester Cathedral in the High Street.  I would be interested to know the name of the owners of this shop in the late 40s - early 50s. I`m fairly certain it wasn`t Lane.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines