News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dock Yard Accident #2  (Read 5939 times)

lesf

Re: Dock Yard Accident #2
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 22:08:34 »
Scoop, Many thanks that narrows the search right down. I was wondering about the press cutting and war-time restrictions, but obviously in 1947 that would not have applied.

The local Chatham paper seems to have become defunct before digitalisation of back copies.

I have searched the K&S Messenger/Courier but nothing relevant for Featherstone.

Again, thank you to those who have posted and also those who may have looked without success.

LesF

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 77
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 12:33:07 »
Well done Scoop  :) Looks as though you have the  possible right man .
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline scoop

• Appreciation 46
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 12:22:03 »
I think it was Herbert Featherstone.
There is a death registered Q3 1947 in Chatham. Age at Death 52. Vol 5b P286.
From Probate calendar 1948 we can see he died at Chatham Dockyard 22 August 1947.
You now have the date of death to check the local papers for reports.

lesf

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 11:23:57 »
Capman, completely correct, my father was Nelson.

Kyn, thanks for the nil report from the Times, but we don't move in such exalted circles. I suspect it was a local paper.

LesF

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 07:27:02 »
Nothing obvious reported in the Times.

capman

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 23:36:16 »
I had a look on one of the sites and found the 1911 census with George Edward Featherstone on it, born 1892, plus his brothers and sisters. Frank, Herbert, Leslie, Harold, Nelson, sister Ethel, father George and mother Mary Ann. Could these be your relations?

lesf

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 21:24:58 »
Addendum to last post.

There was also Herbert Featherstone, DoB 16 Nov 1894 and, thinking back, I wonder if it was he rather than George that had the accident.

LesF

lesf

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 21:02:51 »
Hi, Thanks grandarog & kyn for you welcome and comments.

As far as I can remember the uncle was George Edward Featherstone & DoB 27 Oct 1892.

The ? was I was not sure which of my uncles it was. I knew Leslie & Frank and I think I remember meeting Harold so by elimination that makes it George.

Other things that I seem to remember was that the fall was a result of a hammer head coming adrift and then loosing his balance.

At one time there was a newspaper cutting in the family archive but I can no longer find it.

Many thanks

LesF

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 103
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 11:32:36 »
Hi lesf,
          Welcome to the Forum. Do you know for sure which dockyard he was at and roughly his age? I have checked for deaths and burials in this area and there doesn't seem to be any that would fit for a workman from Chatham in the time frame you suggest. Is the question mark you put in his name for George, his missing middle name or surname that is doubtful? As much info you have as possible will help us help you. :)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 22:01:13 »
I hope someone can help.  I assume you don't have any more information than what you have posted?

Depending how the thread develops will depend on where it should be, I hope that information of the incident is found and then the thread can stay here :)

lesf

Dock Yard Accident #2
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 21:49:21 »
I am trying to find some information about an uncle, George(?) Featherstone who was killed in a fall from a submarine he was working on in dry dock. I think the accident occurred in the mid years of WW2.

Any further information would be much appreciated and apologies if this should have gone into the ancestry section.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines