News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Medway Games Centre, Chatham  (Read 2899 times)

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
Re: Medway Games Centre, Chatham
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 17:59:46 »
I also remember that shop. I was into building 1:72 scale models of WW2 aircraft at the time, specifically aircraft in service or about to enter service at the end of the war. For some reason, it was the only shop where I was able to buy models off the shelf of the various German jet planes.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline 80sChild

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 14:05:41 »
I remember that upstairs model shop above the knitting shop too.  :)

I play Games Workshop battle games too (both Warhammer 40'000 and Warhammer, which has since been re branded Age Of Sigmar, to mixed results of the fans... :P), and I have been since the mid-90's. I remember buying a few Games Workshop products from that place (back in the 90's they were mostly made of metal, and some came in 'Blister Packs').

I also use to be (and still am) a big Star Trek fan and, as a teenager in the 90's, I bought a selection of model kits from various model shops, including U.S.S Enterprise (from the movies), Klingon Battlecruiser, Starship Voyager etc. I think some of these came from that actual shop too (at least one of them did).

Later on another model shop (probably the same one) moved into the Pentagon Centre, where the mobility shop is now (this, I think, was about 2001-ish). Again, I brought a few Games Workshop products there too.

After the one in the Pentagon shut down that place became the BSM Driving Centre.

Offline Walderslade_W

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 10:57:11 »
This reply may be late, but hopefully someone may find interest in it.

I sure do remember the Medway Games Centre which was part of the Medway Craft centre off and on over the years. As I recall it used to be based with the craft centre opposite Church Street, and then moved to it's own premises at no. 1 where the American Comic shop now trades. It was a small shop crammed full of role-playing and war games, including a number of titles from Games Workshop and a small selection of Citadel Miniatures that used to  hang on a carsousel on the main counter. This must have been around 1983-1984 when I used to frequent it in my younger years, mainly buying lead figures and Warhammer pieces. The only other retailers I recall selling this sort of stuff back then was NSS at the Sava Centre in Hempstead Valley and a very small trader selling in Tesco's of all places in Gillingham. I always used to think the older shopkeeper must have had the patience of a saint with some of the clientele there, and he had a very dry sense of humour, there also used to be a very tall younger bloke working there with a beard, who I suspected might have been related to him, but that's just a guess.

The shop reunited with the Craft centre on the corner of Church street (where Milano cafe is now, today). In later years on the upper level and they diversified into other related merchandise like Comics and, as you say, models and even recall them selling TCR slot car box sets at one time. Later on they moved again way down the other end of town near the large revolving doors on the Military road entrance of the Pentagon but this was when Games Workshop was starting to tighten the screws on independent retailers in the 90's. I'm not sure how long the shop survived after that, as I moved onto other hobbies at that time. 

Stevo

Medway Games Centre, Chatham
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 20:15:58 »
Does anyone remember the Medway Games Centre in Chatham High Street? The Medway Games Centre seemed to have two addresses for the same retail premises:

Medway Games Centre
1 Church Street
Chatham
Kent ME4 4NR
Phone: 01634 814750

Medway Games Centre
294 High Street
Chatham
Kent ME4 4NR
Phone: 01634 814750

The Medway Games Centre was on the first floor above a knitwear and embroidery shop. Opposite Medway Games Centre was Zenith Windows. It was a brilliant model making and games hobby shop.

The Medway Games Centre sold RPGs like Dungeons & Dragons, Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, Tunnels & Trolls. Also lead and plastic miniatures, mainly produced by Citadel Miniatures and Ral Partha were sold there.

Other great products included remote controlled planes, racing cars and planes. It was a popular games shop and I remember going in there regularly around 1985 to 1992.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines