News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The M.I.C. Club in Chatham  (Read 2715 times)

Offline gavinparson

• Appreciation 2
Re: The M.I.C. Club in Chatham
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 06:50:46 »
I used to go there to support my friends' band. I can't remember what they were called though.
I never remember seeing any Indians there though. Wasn't it the former Maidstone & District Club?

Offline skipraider

• Appreciation 6
Re: The M.I.C. Club in Chatham
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 17:02:22 »
Yes, I too used to go there in the early 80's .. indeed I remember seeing both The Milkshakes and The Prisoners there on the same bill one night - it must have been 1981 or thereabouts, certainly before the Prisoners had released their first album. If memory serves correctly, there was a fairly sparse crowd that evening.

If you look at this Google Streetview page - http://goo.gl/maps/cBKF1 - I believe the pale pink building in the foreground extended to the right, out over where the zebra crossing is now, and the M.I.C. Club occupied the top floor. When the (as you rightly call it 'ridiculous') flyover was built the building was chopped down and only the left-hand-side survives. I could be wrong though, but I'm fairly sure that's where it was (junction of Globe Lane and Medway Street).

The entrance was at the far right-hand side of the building, then up several flights of stairs. Upon entering the club, there was a small bar running down the right-hand side, and the 'stage' area was in the far left-hand corner. Flourescent lighting, wooden chairs and formica-topped tables is the decor that springs to mind.

I also remember going to see Doctor Feelgood there sometime later (this would have been post Wilco and probably post Gypie Mayo too), but on arriving at the venue found a scrawled notice stuck to the door saying that the gig had been moved to the little club just on the Strood side of Rochester bridge, on the left as you were coming from Rochester, who's name escapes me now. They obviously didn't fancy lugging their gear up the stairs to the M.I.C. ;-)

I think this thread should probably be in the 'Leisure/Clubs & Organisations' or 'Leisure/Drinking Establishments & Hotels' sections, so apologies for replying here (I don't know how to move it, or even if I can).

King Chav

The M.I.C. Club in Chatham
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 23:29:00 »
Does anyone remember the Medway Indian Community Club in Chatham? I used to go there to see local bands like The Milkshakes and The Prisoners back in the 80's.

It was demolished to make way for a ridiculous flyover...

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines