News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fort Bridgewoods, Rochester  (Read 69028 times)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Re: Fort Bridgewoods, Rochester
« Reply #110 on: March 26, 2014, 16:52:01 »
Cliveh, what is the source of these images?  :)

merc

« Reply #109 on: March 26, 2014, 13:58:13 »
Thanks for adding the image Cliveh :)

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #108 on: March 26, 2014, 10:57:43 »
Aerial view of the fort from 1946;

cliveh

merc

« Reply #107 on: September 03, 2013, 12:06:48 »
Snippets from Google Books (Sorry for lack of more details, as these are only available in snippet form, and it's not always easy searching for the surrounding text).

The History of the Second, Queen's Royal Regiment, Now the Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment, Volume 7, Part 1

"In November 1914, the Battalion moved to Rochester, where it was split up - Headquarters and "A" Company at Fort Clarence, and a company in each of the forts-Horsted, Borstal, Bridgewood."

"In May, 1915, the Battalion moved to camp in the vicinity of Fort Bridgewood Battalion headquarters being in Fort Bridgewood and remained under canvas until the autumn when it moved back into the forts. Whilst at Bridgewood the first zeppelin bombing raid over Chatham took place - the zeppelin appeared to be hit by a shell and was driven off with its nose in the air."

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #106 on: September 02, 2013, 00:27:15 »
 :)

Offline jc101

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #105 on: September 01, 2013, 11:25:15 »
ooh, ooh, lets dig....!
A couple of my colleagues at TDH Gravesend have visited Fort Bridgewoods, they have been telling me the stories of their visit...

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #104 on: June 04, 2013, 08:42:39 »
 :)  Our little digging team are tied up with other projects at the moment!  If we can get some more volunteers I will arrange it :)

Offline man-of-kent

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #103 on: June 04, 2013, 07:51:24 »
I have heard there are some foundations/lower sections under the concrete floor but have no idea what is left now.
You're a very resourceful person Kyn. I'm surprised you haven't flashed your eyelashes at the head of the post office and got permission to dig up the floor.   :)
Derek Brice

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #102 on: June 04, 2013, 07:39:24 »
Thank you so much for adding these.  After a flick through some other old images (I think these can be found online) I realised that I did know these existed as there is an exterior shot.  The frame work is interesting though.  Fort Borstal has two tier counterscarp galleries but there is no second floor or fixtures in the walls so we assumed there must have been framework in these, I wonder if they were similar to the framework here?  Although it would have to be freestanding.

steve mullane

« Reply #101 on: June 03, 2013, 22:02:49 »
the photos have been scanned but hopefully look ok

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #100 on: June 03, 2013, 09:36:23 »
Sounds a lot like counterscarp galleries, I hadn't realised this fort had them.  It would be really nice to see your photos :)

steve mullane

« Reply #99 on: June 01, 2013, 22:47:17 »
If I recall correctly, the post office was built in the early 90's. I'm pretty sure the photos I took of the tunnels at Bridgewood were taken in 1990, at that time all that was left were 2 tunnels which I believe were to the counterscarp galleries, the tunnels went down lots of steps. I assume to go under the ditch and then up some steps which led into the rooms which still had musket loops in the wall and frame work for a platform for another set of loops above. I have photos of the steps leading down and some of the room showing both sets of musket loops.

Walderslade_W

« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2013, 09:18:13 »
As mentioned in one of the first posts, the Fort was demolished and the Post Office Depot now sits on the site, which was built in the late 80's. I know of school mates, who explored a lot of it back in the mid eighties. There was a lot of underground network tunnels to it, but I don't know if these still exist or what state they are in.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 186
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #97 on: April 06, 2013, 22:59:42 »
The present Royal Mail depot is on the exact site and there is no sign of the fort on the surface on GE or Bing Maps.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2013, 22:54:27 »
I have heard there are some foundations/lower sections under the concrete floor but have no idea what is left now.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines