News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fort Bridgewoods, Rochester  (Read 95777 times)

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
Re: Fort Bridgewoods,Rochester
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2010, 08:49:25 »
Hi MOK.
Do you mean the fenced off woods above Sir Evelyn Rd as you head towards Maidstone? From when I lived just near there on Maidstone Rd during the 50s and 60s I only ever saw sheep grazed there and I was always in there.
That was long before the prison was built though.
There was also woods the other side of Sir Evelyn Rd next to the water reservois but they had the police houses built on them in the 60s which ruined one of our favourite play areas.
Alan.

Tricky

« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2010, 19:52:43 »
I dont know how true this report i received is, but I have to visit prisons all over the country as part of my job. HMP Cookham Wood was recently re roled from females to young offenders and was re vamped and had extra building work during the course of this re role, I was told that during this work they were hampered by either foundations or tunnels from the fort.
I re call that the land Cookham Wood nick occupies was always fenced along side the Maidstone road and for us was a no go area when I was a kid in the 60's, but was not sure ever why. What was behind the fenc
e ?

Hi,
My brothers motherinlaw is a warden at the cookham wood young offenders prison or hotel as they seem like these days  ;0)  I should really make an effort to ask her for any information that she could possibly give me on the fort or the surrounding areas. She may even come up with something interesting.

MOK

« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2010, 18:50:39 »
I dont know how true this report i received is, but I have to visit prisons all over the country as part of my job. HMP Cookham Wood was recently re roled from females to young offenders and was re vamped and had extra building work during the course of this re role, I was told that during this work they were hampered by either foundations or tunnels from the fort.
I re call that the land Cookham Wood nick occupies was always fenced along side the Maidstone road and for us was a no go area when I was a kid in the 60's, but was not sure ever why. What was behind the fence ?

Tricky

« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2010, 16:06:22 »
A few more pics of Bridgewoods fort :)

Hi everyone my names Richard and have just joined your form as I have been reading through much of it as a guest for about a month now. I have a keen interest in the forts around the medway area, as a child until moving out of my parents I lived at the base of the coney banks in chatham and fort Luton was my playground for many years in its derelict state.
I am not sure if you were aware atall but in the above photos that ''Chezz'' had posted, the second photo down is deffinately fort Luton and not Fort Bridgewood.
I also spent many times exploring in the Shorts tunnels ''Blaw knox'' Rochester, Cliffe fort, Shornemead fort,Fort Amerhurst and also the fort on the island opposite the strand in Gillingham, (I forget the name of this one but have vivid memories of it) I am also an English Heritage member and spend quite a bit of time looking around many of the forts and castles around our area of Kent.
If this is in the wrong section then I appolagise but was looking at the info on fort Bridgewoods when I saw the pics of Fort Luton.
Anyway enough of me and I look forward to reading more of the interesting facts on your forum.

Richard

carolmapley

« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2010, 22:49:54 »
I also lived down on Maidstone Road - 355 to be exact opposite the old Co-Op and Mr Standens rather strange grocers shop. Strange? If you lived in the area during the 60's you'll know exactly what I mean!

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2010, 10:03:24 »
Well done carolmapley , I couldn't remember his (the caretakers) name as you'll see from my posting on this subject exactly a year ago today. He didn't always have alsations though as you'll see from that post.
Nice old chap who moved me on from there a few times. I lived over on the Maidstone Rd in Cookham Wood from the early 50s so that was one of my playgrounds.
Cheers.
Alan.

carolmapley

« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2010, 14:05:56 »
The postwar caretaker of Fort Bridgewoods was a Mr Ganges, a retired policedog handler. He lived in the adjacent hut/bungalow and built an assault course on which to train his alsatians.

Myself and some other friends gained access to the fort using seigeworks of our own, old bits of pipe pushed into the cracked masonary in the sides of the ditches. Once in we had much fun playing cowboys and indians. However on exiting through the hole in the hedge round the fort we were met by a very tall (or so he seemed) police officer earing a gannex raincoat with motorcycle gauntlets. Most of my friends ran off leaving me to be caught. I was then
 marched by my ear to his waiting velecette motorcycle. Once there I was given an ear beating with his gauntlets. Oh how politically incorrect.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 426
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2010, 21:42:19 »
Ah sorry I misread your post!  Not sure of any use during WWI, hope somebody else can help.

SeanT

« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2010, 20:29:46 »
Thanks kyn. Yes, did read the refs in the thread to WWII, but it was the WWI years I was curious about.
 :) I would gather, then, that the Fort lay in disuse until WWII.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 426
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2010, 09:10:10 »
The pics have come from file HW 14/94 at the National Archives, Kew.  If you read through the thread you will see that the fort was used during WWII and what its use was  :)

SeanT

« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2010, 22:42:27 »
Thanks to all for the info and pix for Fort Bridgewoods. Fascinating stuff. It has only been via this Forum that I was aware it had existed at all.
kyn, can I ask what the source is for the seige pix? I am just as interested to see what the Nashenden Valley itself looked like at this time (considering how very much it has been altered).
Is it likely that the Fort was in any condition to have been used in any way during WWI, for continued training or stationing of soldiers? If so, is there to anyone's knowledge any record of which units may have been lodged there?

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 426
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2010, 09:40:34 »
Last two pictures.

Solarp

« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2010, 16:33:30 »
there is a lot of rubble to the north of the picture, in the unhighlighted area, the bricks look pretty old

medwayboy

« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2010, 15:41:45 »
Had a wander around the shown area this afternoon but didn't find anything. Hard work in the wooded part off the track so could easily miss something. Needed a big machete  :)
When I get time i'll carry on checking other areas. It's so disappointing that you can't see this wonderful fort.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 426
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2010, 18:59:18 »

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines